Emissions for Suzuki Samuri question

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
I am having trouble getting my carbon monoxide level down on my 87 Suzuki Samuri. It was doudle the limit at 2500 rpms and normal at idle.

I put a new cat and exhaust in the Samuri and blew out the carb with carb cleaner. Ran Sea-Foam through fuel system and intake manifold. Did engine flush before changing oil. Adjusted idle, and ran the sucker.

I have no idea what to do to get it to pass. Any ideas or experience with these?

:mad2: Monkey

74highboy

if you want to bring it to the shop im working at we have a guy thats realy good with carbs it will probly need to be rebuilt but you would have to let him mess with it

KToy

well sounds like your almost there.

put at least one bottole of rubbing alcohol in the tank
makes it burn really hot and burns off the impurities.

every truck that didnt pass did after that.

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
rubbing huh'

Will the rubbing alcohol screw anything up, like sensors, cat, etc. Have you tried it or just heard that it works? Thanks
:mad2: monkey

74highboy

you should just bring it over to us at kearns tunex next week since are carb guy has called in sick every day this week he can run the test then see what it needs from their

KToy

i use alcohol in all my older vehicles. say 2000 and older. i use 91 octane chevron fuel only as well.

but yes i have heard it works and yes i do use it every time.

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
once

Do you use it once or contiuously? Only before emissions, or run it during the test? How much, one bottle per tank or per 5 gallons? What? Chevron gas runs cleaner too? Thanks KToy

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
down

Will it bring down carbon monoxide levels while running? Does it clean the carb or cat? Cuzz the cat is new and it may burn hotter but if the carb is the problem how will it help it pass?
Thanks again

86RICK

85 With Same Problem

my good friend ben had the same issues we did the carb rebuild and a cat wnet through emmissoin no problem cost about 25 buck and a day in labor

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
High CO means that you're not completely combusting the gas, or you have too much gas for the mixture of air. You can try to lean out the fuel intake, new air filter, new plugs to make sure you are getting a clean spark. Anything else that may bring in less fuel, more air, or make it burn more complete.

KToy

i run rubbing alcohol during the test on my way down to get the emissions test done i stop and chevron and put in about 5-7 gallons of gas so i have say 10 gallons total. but before i fill the tank i put in octane booster and rubbing alcohol one full bottle.

then i go down and boom it passes. i was told that it helps the motor burn off the impurites in the fuel and exhaust. but i had an 85 truck that would pass and i changed the cat and did this and it worked.

you have changed the cat so try this. it was a carbed 85 toy truck too.

but if you want to rebuild the carb and spark plugs and air filter ya that might help

i would say a air filter will help get more air and probably help a bit too.

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
octane

Now KToy, the octane your using is higher and your boosting it on top of that. Is it the high octane that is helping you pass or what? I was under the impression that high octane burns faster and if I am not burning all of my fuel already as rusted suggested, would it be better to drop to a lower grade of fuel (85) that burns slower and hotter? Are there any other tricks that could help me pass? THanks people

KToy

i dont know man.

this is exactly what i did. and higher octane burns hotter if i am not mistaken

i put half a tank of gas about 7 gallons worth chevron supreme 91 octane

put on a new cat

can of octane booster from autozone

and a full bottle of rubbing alcohol

and it passes funny thing is the guy that did it failed it first time and then it passed. he was amazed as it was the same day LOL

to me it makes sense cuz jet fuel for race cars and dirtbikes is like 102 octane and race guys told me they use it cuz it makes more horsepower and makes there motor burn hotter.

so i would say 91 octane and booster or jet fuel one of the two.

but only do it for emissions dont do it on a regular basis.