enduro bikes

krany

kranberry
soon iam gonna be in the market to get an enduro bike. its mainly will be a commuter bike, to school and back in the spring,summer and fall. iam pretty sure a 250 is as big as i want to go. whats a good beginners bike? this will be my first motorcycle and my first manual any thing:rofl: i ride mountain bikes so iam used to riding fairly fast on rough terrain. don't want to spend more than 2k on it.

Caleb

From what you described, a street bike (or a Super Motard) would be better suited for you. Are you planning any offroad? I guess what I'm getting at is what's your plan for this bike? Commuter only, I'd go for a street bike (or an SM). If you plan to ride some trails and such, then I'd consider an enduro/dual sport.

krany

kranberry
From what you described, a street bike (or a Super Motard) would be better suited for you. Are you planning any offroad? I guess what I'm getting at is what's your plan for this bike? Commuter only, I'd go for a street bike (or an SM). If you plan to ride some trails and such, then I'd consider an enduro/dual sport.
i would be going on the occasional trail.
that yamaha looks like a sweet little bike, but with the msrp being 6400 its quite a bit out of budget.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I went through this last summer. I was looking for a 50/50 bike. Something to ride to work a few days a week, and something to ride to the trails on the weekend. I bought a KLR250 before I ever went riding with him, which didn't end up being a wise move. I sold the KLR250 after my first ride trying to keep up with them and dealing with a street bike with some off road features. I then bought a dedicated trail bike (KDX220) and that made all the difference in the world. It's a trail bike, and it does that very well.

However, it sounds like you're looking for more of a street bike, that will see a little dirt. I wouldn't plan on riding anything technical, but YMMV. So, with that in mind, if I were you, I'd have my sights on a DRZ400. When I was looking, they could be had for almost $2k, but it looks like prices may have come down a little. I would have picked this up in a heartbeat when I was in the market (depending on condition of course): http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=9495477&cat=236&lpid=

Caleb

I went through this last summer. I was looking for a 50/50 bike. Something to ride to work a few days a week, and something to ride to the trails on the weekend. I bought a KLR250 before I ever went riding with him, which didn't end up being a wise move. I sold the KLR250 after my first ride trying to keep up with them and dealing with a street bike with some off road features. I then bought a dedicated trail bike (KDX220) and that made all the difference in the world. It's a trail bike, and it does that very well.

However, it sounds like you're looking for more of a street bike, that will see a little dirt. I wouldn't plan on riding anything technical, but YMMV. So, with that in mind, if I were you, I'd have my sights on a DRZ400. When I was looking, they could be had for almost $2k, but it looks like prices may have come down a little. I would have picked this up in a heartbeat when I was in the market (depending on condition of course): http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=9495477&cat=236&lpid=
Good advice! Personally I would have my sights on a 400 range bike too. I bought my first bike last Fall. I was thinking I wanted a 250 since I had never ridden, but because I am 6' and 230 lbs, I figured I'd outgrow a 250 class bike rather quickly...I ended up getting a 600 (Husky TE610) and I can't imagine being on anything much smaller. If you plan to stick to surface streets, I'd go for a 400 class bike. I think you'll feel a bit more comfortable with traffic on a 400. In my motorcycle class we had some Yamaha TW200s. Only a year or three old, low miles and in great shape. While they were fun bikes to ride around on, I think I'd be scared to actually try adn ride in traffic with one of them.

I too was pretty set on a DRZ400. Do some research and determine what "upgrades" you want. Things like e-start, better suspension, etc all came in later years, which will bump you up around $2500. If you don't care about those things, then one like benjy posted would be great. You can get ~2001 DRZ400s (that's "S" model) for sub $2K all day. The "S" model will come street legal from the factory, the "E" model doesn't but can be made street legal for ~$500. SM are street legal too, but are a cross between a dirt bike and a street bike.

ricsrx

I have a street leagal 04 Honda 250X, its great on the trail but way to slow on the street, it will do 60 but it is tached out, rides at 40 very well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Those 400's really aren't that big. That's what I'll be looking for... I'd actually rather have a 650 for the street, but they're just a little bigger than I want on the trails. I mostly want it to get me up a trail without having to muscle the hell out of it all the time. A 250 would even work except they suck on the highway, and there is a lot of highway in Tooele County. :D I think the 400 is a good compromise-- lightish, enough power on the road, and nimble enough on the trails....

STAG

On my grind
I have an '08YZ450F that I bought for 3k and originally intended to put a street legal kit on it for running around town, but I later decided its just too good looking of a bike to put blinkers and lights on it :D I'm 5'7" and 150 lbs and I can handle it just fine so a 400 should be just fine for you.

2008yz450f.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
iam 6'0 and 140 pounds so a 400 would be a tich too big:rofl: it would see a trail every couple weeks or so. but mainly to class and back.

Go take a few for a test ride before you decide anything... A 400 is totally manageable. I was pretty new to riding last year as well. I'm 6'1" 165 :) A wr250r would have enough power, but an older 250 like my klr would leave you wishing you had more go, on a daily basis.

krany

kranberry
what do you guys thing of the Yamaha crf 230ls?i went and looked at a newer one the other day and it looked really nice. i cant really go and test ride one sicne this is my first bike and i have not the slightest clue on how to ride one ::rofl::rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you're new to bikes, I would suggest getting something cheap & used, for when (not IF) you drop it. It would suck to buy a brand new bike and drop it, scraping it up. Look around at used bikes, they can be had for well under your price range. Save some of your money from the bike purchase for some quality riding gear, ESPECIALLY since you're new to riding. IMO, you should be willing to spend as much on the proper riding gear as you spend on your bike. So buy a cheap bike and buy some high-quality riding gear.

What will your road riding look like, top speed, what kind of traffic, etc? That will help us decide what models you should look at.

We picked up a '99 Yamaha TT-R 250 for my wife off KSL last Fall. We paid 1/2 of what you're looking to spend. -

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=70613

I really like the TTR for a beginner because it's easy on power and simple. They aren't street legal, but for $160 you can buy an Enduro kit from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Some other bikes you ought to consider are the Yamaha TW200/250 that Caleb mentioned as well as the Yamaha XT225/250, the Suzuki DR250, etc. Thee Honda CRF's are great bikes too.

For the most part, the air cooled engines aren't going to be power-houses. They will be easy on the throttle and perfect for a beginner.

krany

kranberry
What will your road riding look like, top speed, what kind of traffic, etc? That will help us decide what models you should look at.
well right now 7800s is the main road i travel and its like riding on a dirt road, really torn up right now, driving on it is like driving on a dirt road at times:rofl:. traffic isn't too bad. 65 on the freeway at times.
I have a TTR 230 with a light kit I will be selling.
how much?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I'm 5'10, and 130 pounds. At the moment I ride an 1100 pound Ultra-Glide
Like they say, size does matter.. ;)

You're not going to carry this bike, you're going to BALANCE it. Don't let the engine size scare you off. 250's are fun little dirt bikes, but worthless on the road. Dual sports in the 350+ range are a good compromise, and street bikes less than 650 should be outlawed.

I wont bring brand into the equation, but you need to go test drive some bikes. Find the biggest bike you feel comfortable on, but don't buy that one. When you find that (250, 500, whatever) bike, start looking at the next size larger. Even if you don't feel quite comfortable on it, you wiil grow (and quickly outgrow) into it soon. Take it from a guy who has lost his ass on a ton of wrong sized enduro bikes.

Oh, and just so you don't think I'm some sort of freak, my 105 pound wife rides her own Harley too. And no, it's not one of those girly Sportsters.. :rofl:

iam 6'0 and 140 pounds so a 400 would be a tich too big:rofl: it would see a trail every couple weeks or so. but mainly to class and back.

rholbrook

I'm 5'10, and 130 pounds. At the moment I ride an 1100 pound Ultra-Glide
Like they say, size does matter.. ;)

You're not going to carry this bike, you're going to BALANCE it. Don't let the engine size scare you off. 250's are fun little dirt bikes, but worthless on the road. Dual sports in the 350+ range are a good compromise, and street bikes less than 650 should be outlawed.

I wont bring brand into the equation, but you need to go test drive some bikes. Find the biggest bike you feel comfortable on, but don't buy that one. When you find that (250, 500, whatever) bike, start looking at the next size larger. Even if you don't feel quite comfortable on it, you wiil grow (and quickly outgrow) into it soon. Take it from a guy who has lost his ass on a ton of wrong sized enduro bikes.

Oh, and just so you don't think I'm some sort of freak, my 105 pound wife rides her own Harley too. And no, it's not one of those girly Sportsters.. :rofl:

Good advice. Come by my house and I will let you ride the TTR230 and then you can ride my Street Legal WR450 for comparison.

Here is a link to my 450.

http://rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=70736&highlight=wr450

Here are some pictures of the TTR230. As to what I want out of it??? I don't know, come ride it and we can work out the price. I know that it will need turn signals for inspection this coming year because the laws have changed. No big deal though, that can be done easily.

Attachments

• TTR230 .jpg
    TTR230 .jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 5
  • TTR230 009.jpg
    TTR230 009.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
  • TTR230 007.jpg
    TTR230 007.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 6
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg