Engine Code

fonzisjeepn

My friend has a check engine light on. He has a 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited

ENGINE CODE P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT

We replaced the sensor and it still throws out the code. What else can we do????

PLEASE HELP

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You probably have to clear the code to make it go away. Disconnect the battery for 15 min or so, see if that does the trick.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If you fixed it, the code will also go away on it's own after time... I want to say 3 "successful trips" (you tell me what that definition is! I know it has to go through a complete warm up cycle before it's considered a trip) adn then I think the code is erased after 40? This I'm not clear on, because the computer will store up to 255 last cycles. So I'm confused here..

Roktoys84

Bump it
OK, I drove it around yesterday and put some trips on the computer, and disconnected the battery for a few hours. The check engine light was off when I drove to work tonight, for about a mile anyways. The initial code was "camshaft postion sensor intermitant" so we replaced the camshaft position sensor. The thing we can't figure out is when the check engine light is on and it revs over 3000rpm it starts to cut out, like it's hitting a rev limiter. Otherwise it runs fine. :confused:

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
OK, I drove it around yesterday and put some trips on the computer, and disconnected the battery for a few hours. The check engine light was off when I drove to work tonight, for about a mile anyways. The initial code was "camshaft postion sensor intermitant" so we replaced the camshaft position sensor. The thing we can't figure out is when the check engine light is on and it revs over 3000rpm it starts to cut out, like it's hitting a rev limiter. Otherwise it runs fine. :confused:

sounds like its ur Crank Shaft position sensor, wen mine went out it would misfire wen i got above 3000rpm, dont get one from checkers or autozone get one from the dealer!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
What is involved in replacing the crankshaft sensor?

Disconnect sensor pigtail harness (electrical connector) from main electrical harness.
Depending upon application, remove either sensor mounting bolt(s) or nuts.
Remove sensor from engine.
INSTALLATION

Sensor With 1-Bolt Mounting (Equipped With 42 RLE Automatic Transmission):

Install sensor flush against opening in transmission housing.
Install and tighten sensor mounting bolt to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.) torque.
Connect electrical connector to sensor.
Sensor With 2-Bolt Mounting:

Install sensor flush against opening in transmission housing.
Install and tighten two sensor mounting bolts to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.) torque. The two sensor mounting bolts are specially machined to correctly space unit to flywheel. Do not attempt to install any other bolts.
Connect sensor pigtail harness electrical connector to main wiring harness.
Sensor With 2-Nut Mounting:

Install and tighten two sensor mounting nuts to 12 Nm (9 ft. lbs.) torque.
Sensor With One-Bolt Mounting (Not Equipped With 42 RLE Automatic Transmission):
New replacement sensors will be equipped with a paper spacer glued to bottom of sensor. If installing (returning) a used sensor to vehicle, a new paper spacer must be installed to bottom of sensor. This spacer will be ground off the first time engine is started. If spacer is not used, sensor will be broken the first time engine is started.

New Sensors: Be sure paper spacer is installed to bottom of sensor. If not, obtain spacer PN05252229.
Used Sensors: Clean bottom of sensor and install spacer PN05252229.
Install sensor into transmission bellhousing hole.
Push sensor against flywheel/drive plate. With sensor pushed against flywheel/drive plate, tighten mounting bolt to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) torque.

Roktoys84

Bump it
I replaced the crankshaft position sensor this morning and took it for a test drive and the check engine light came back on. It still cuts out at 3000rpm. Would the computer be causing it to cut out? Or is it something else?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I think that is how it acts when the computer is in "limp home mode"

Did you clear the computer code? If not do that, and try it again to see what new codes you are getting

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If you've replaced both sensors and still getting the code, you better check the valve to crank timing. Your cam might have jumped time....