Engine Guru's "HELP w/ fuel delivery"

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
I bought a 25ft cobalt boat from my dad.
I need help with fuel delivery. Here are my motor's specs.
It's a 454 mag that's .030 over with teflon coated piston's, stainless 4" exhaust, whipple charger, edelbrock intake, and a holley 950 or 1050 double pumper. not sure of cam or heads. The charger max's at 7-8psi of boost. its a low compression motor 8.5to1 pistons with a 2 copper head gaskets.

The old system was a cheapy fram elec. pump plumbed to the stock manual pump then to the carb. The elec. broke i want to go to just a good elec. system and skip the manual. It seems like we were getting around 7psi before but i think the motor was starved for fuel.

What kind of psi should i be running ? any suggestions on hat kind of pump i should by? do i need a regulator. Should i have more than one filter? right now i have the big screw on kind is that enough.

i was thinking about this one.
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...ults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp&x=31&y=14

a guy at work told me to get at least 14psi but i don't want to have it pressurized to much and break the carb.

I don't have any idea about this stuff so any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Caleb

for a filter you mean the kind that look like an oil filter but have a clear bowl on the bottom? If so thats just a water seperator, not an actual filter. I agree with Marc, get one rated for more PSI and use a regulator with a return line. On all of our I/O boats we would use aircraft fuel pumps...I honestly dont know why, but we never had any problems. They are very pricey though.

To get the specs of what you should be running I would get a hold of the charger mfg and talk with their tech dept. They should be able to tell you exactly what you would need. Boats are a different world...and if you try to run an engine that was built for a muscle car in a boat you will never get the performance you should be getting (trust me on this, we tried many times and it almost always failed :D).

great scott

With a carb you dont want more then like 8 psi or you will over power the float and flood the engine. I like the return and regulator idea that rckcrlr listed or just get a high volume low presure pump. Nice boat man that thing should move, is it direct drive?

R

rockdog

I don't think the return line is an option for him. Most boat tanks are sealed in the floor. With no provisions for a return line. With a carb, I don't think more pressure is what you need. As stated above, you'll just overwelm the needle valve in the float bowl. If your running out of fuel, you need more volume as also stated above. A large double pumper will swallow a lot of fuel in a hurry. Sounds like a screaming boat. Have fun this summer. :D