engine swap

rxcarl5

I am thinking of installing a tbi 350 into my yj and have found a motor with a computer and wiring harness with all the accessories attached to it for 600 dollars the motor has 130,000 miles on it and all cylinders compression test at 125 psi. I am just wondering if this is a good deal for the motor and what kind of problems I might run into on the install. I know there will always be little trouble with changes like that. I am just wondering about big trouble I might have with the change, and if it will be worth my time.

Thanks Wade

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It's not a hard swap, but you'll need conversion motor mounts (make some or purchase) and it will probably have some emissions issues if you are in Utah, Salt Lake, Davis or Weber counties. Novak has a LOT of information about these kinds of swaps and it would probably be worth a phone call to at least chat with them and about their product line.

I swapped the motor and trans over from my donor vehicle (TBI 350-700r4) and just used an adapter on the transfer case (D300).

You'll have to decide if that's a good deal or not. It's not a 'bad' deal and it sounds like a solid motor.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I few things to consider:

1. 130k on a 350 is ok if it has been taken care of, if not it could be scarey. Plan on a rebuild in 20-50k miles.

2. Your stock trans will not like the power of a 350 and is unlikely to hold together very long.

3. Your stock rea end is also going to hate the power and will not hold up long.

Install is pretty straight forward, I suggest not using AA motor mounts. Check with MORE or Novak. The trans to motor adpt is also $$.

Also, an aftermarket harness is very helpful and will simplify things a great deal, but $$

rxcarl5

I probably should have told you about the rest of the vehicle. When doing the engine swap it will be getting a 700r4. I already have an atlas II 4.3 in it and the rear is a tera 60 crd fron is a 44 out of a wagoneer. It is set up spring over with 1.5 in Re springs so I should have the strength behind the motor.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
rxcarl5 said:
I probably should have told you about the rest of the vehicle. When doing the engine swap it will be getting a 700r4. I already have an atlas II 4.3 in it and the rear is a tera 60 crd fron is a 44 out of a wagoneer. It is set up spring over with 1.5 in Re springs so I should have the strength behind the motor.

:rofl: :rofl:
Yea, that changes things CONSIDERABLY! :rofl:
Refer to MBrysons post then and disregaurd everything I said except the part about the AA mounts. I hate them.

rxcarl5

Thanks for the help guys I am thinking that this will probably have to be my winter project. has anyone used the M.O.R.E motor mount for the v-8 conversion?

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
rxcarl5 said:
Thanks for the help guys I am thinking that this will probably have to be my winter project. has anyone used the M.O.R.E motor mount for the v-8 conversion?

YES, very nice, work well. They are built and designed well. They have a pin to line up with a stock frame hole. It takes all the guess work out of placement.... I have also used them with the pin ground off for custom placement.

Allen (from MORE) is on here once in a while, maybe he'll pop in here?