entry level slr recomendations

Toad

My wife and I just had our first kid. Cute little baby girl. The wife is bugging me for a new camera. So I am looking for a SLR. I have been looking at the Nikon D3100 and 5100. Costco has the 3100 for 700 bucks with 2 lenses or the 5100 for 950 with two lenses. Is the 5100 worth the extra 200 dollars? Will she ever figure out the extra features to justify the extra money? Just looking for some general advice. If you have a suggestion for a different camera please share.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
We have the D3100 and have been very impressed with it. For my very amateur skills I would never use the additional 5100's features. The Costco pack with both lens's for the 3100 is a great deal.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My only suggestion would be if you plan on taking a lot of low light pictures i.e. indoor, dusk, or action shots. The 5100 has a better ISO range (double) allowing you to take photos in more kinds of light conditions.

Also has more FPS to allow those cool wheeling action shots.

Either camera is sweet, in my opinion the extra ISO range is worth the 200 bones

Caleb

My only suggestion would be if you plan on taking a lot of low light pictures i.e. indoor, dusk, or action shots. The 5100 has a better ISO range (double) allowing you to take photos in more kinds of light conditions.

Also has more FPS to allow those cool wheeling action shots.

Either camera is sweet, in my opinion the extra ISO range is worth the 200 bones

I would generally agree about the extra ISO but in this case the benefits are going to be minimal since they are both using the exact same sensors, same with the higher pixels on the 5100. Since the sensors are the same, you'll just get more noise from both those features. I foudn the saem thing back when I bought my D40x. My brother had the D40 and hist pictures often looked better in the same conditions. Mine (D40x) had higher pixels and higher iso but the exact same sensor.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I would generally agree about the extra ISO but in this case the benefits are going to be minimal since they are both using the exact same sensors, same with the higher pixels on the 5100. Since the sensors are the same, you'll just get more noise from both those features. I foudn the saem thing back when I bought my D40x. My brother had the D40 and hist pictures often looked better in the same conditions. Mine (D40x) had higher pixels and higher iso but the exact same sensor.

Bingo ;)

ISO over 1600-2k is pretty worthless unless your using a very expensive camera...

Toad

well we got to costco and they only had the display model of the 3100. Ended up buying the 5100 Hopefully the wife likes it and gets my money out of it

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
well we got to costco and they only had the display model of the 3100. Ended up buying the 5100 Hopefully the wife likes it and gets my money out of it

I think you'll be happy with it, either camera would be a great starter SLR. You'll be amazed how much more quality you get over a point and shoot. Especially if you take it out on the trail and try to get some action shots.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Bingo ;)

ISO over 1600-2k is pretty worthless unless your using a very expensive camera...

I've fired off a lot of shots at 3200 or 6400 and never had any problems with excessive noise on my D7000. And I don't consider it to be an expensive camera. Though, I am sure some would disagree

Toad

Well I am happy to report that my little girl is doing great. Unfortunately my wife has yet to learn how to use this camera. It takes very nice pictures but it is more of a very pricey point and shot.