Environmental groups critical of BLM's management of ORVs

utah340six

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13483258
SOUTHERN UTAH -- Utah environmental groups released a report card that sharply criticizes the Bureau of Land Management's management of off-road vehicles in southern and eastern Utah. The BLM says it is making progress, but there's more work to be done.
Source: The Southern UtahWilderness Alliance BLM management plans for six areas of Utah were finalized in 2008. After two years, with new restrictions on off-road vehicle routes, the environmentalists argue those plans do not go far enough to protect public lands. The director of the BLM in Utah accepts the criticism and says they are working to protect the land.

ORV use on public lands kicks up the heated debate between those who want to restrict riding and those who want to open more areas.

Zach Frankel with the Utah Rivers Council said, "There's nothing wrong with ATV recreation. The issue with the BLM is how they are managed."

The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA), the Utah Rivers Council and the Utah Chapter Sierra Club give the BLM poor marks for protecting the environment and cultural resources from ORV damage.
Is this bull sh** or what

Coco

IMO the BLM does a great job at managing the land. But ofcourse, SUWA and those other groups think unless the land is completely closed down, nothing is good enough....

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
Is there anything we can do about this? Beside U4WDA and trail clean-ups?

I'm concerned that just one "act/emergency" will open the door for the government to swoop in and take over the rest of the public lands still availble for recreation.

Your thoughts??

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Is there anything we can do about this? Beside U4WDA and trail clean-ups?

I'm concerned that just one "act/emergency" will open the door for the government to swoop in and take over the rest of the public lands still availble for recreation.

Your thoughts??

If you wanna get involved, do it. Write letters during public comment periods, attend a meeting or 2, maybe even visit a BLM, F/S, etc office and find out what's going on. It's not the Gov't taking over, they already have. Their job is to administer to the land and their specific mission. (the BLM, the Forest service, State parks, national parks, etc all have different missions and different uses of the land they are responsible for) Fight those who would want to remove you (and your "use") from the land (ie SUWA). If a person really wants to make a difference, you need to make yourself known to the officials who are making the decisions.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
This is so crap the enviromental wacco's will stop at nothing, taking land away and saying noone can use it for ORV is taking a god given right away, this kinda crap makes me so freaking mad. I need to get involved like skylinerider said because i refuse to lose more trails. Some of the best care takers of teh land are off roader guys

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
With the changes taking place within U4WDA now would be a good time to volunteer or at least join so we can show membership numbers. We need help with events, public relations, education and just plain old involvement. Stop talking and thinking and start doing.