Ethanol free gas?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ethanol is considered an octane booster so I doubt the switch will cure your detonation issue. I'd try taking a degree or two of timing out of it, and see if that helps. (I'm guessing the knock is at WOT, and low RPM?)

Otherwise, you may have to shop for 100 octane.$$$$$

502 with a whipple running 4-5 pounds of boost is detonating alittle at wot. So we want ethanol free gas to run in it to see if that eliminates the detonation.

01XJ

I dont know about the Common Cents gas stations up that way if they use it or not? but i do know for a 100% sure the one down here in Orem is 100% Ethenol free:cool: I know this cause the wife works there.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
You probably wouldn't like paying for it, but is AV fuel being mixed with ethanol?
AV fuel is generally not mixed with ethanol as it is a water attractant and that is bad joo-joo for airplanes, especially ones that are parked long term. Guys that build planes that can run on automotive fuel have to be particularly mindful of storing their planes with tanks full of auto gas.

I'm also don't think ethanol is at issue here, you would be better served to INCREASE your ethanol or convert it to run on e-85...its poor mans race fuel.

http://www.raceone85.com/

Jesser04

I'm not so sure it's the issue either. It's my step brothers enginein his boat he just asked if I knew where to get it. They have been tuning it for a good 10-12 hours with a wide band o2 at the headers. They think the detonation might be coming from steam pockets in the rear of the block from the whipple robbing to much water. They put a new lower unit on the drive for more water pressure and he is going back up tomorrow they just wanted ethanol free gas this time. IMHO they better get it figured out pretty quick 5300 rpms and detonation = engine go boom

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
I doubt 91 octane E10 is higher in octane than normal 91. It's probably all mixed anyway until they get the required rating.
After the motor blows up would be the perfect time to install a steam crossover tube that links the 2 heads at the back and dumps into the radiator/lake/whatever a boat uses. :D