Ethanol in gas = lame.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Hmmmm Anyone else sick of the now very common and hard to get away from Ethanol blend in gasoline? Maybe its because my truck is old and has a carburetor, but the power loss and worse mileage is really getting old. Seems like everywhere has at least 10% blend.... My two stroke dirtbike doesn't like it either :-\ Is there anything I can do tuning wise to make up for the change?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Premium grade fuel contains no etahnol.

Thats not true.

Congress mandated in the early 1990's that all gasoline to be oxygenated. Most refiners use ethanol to achieve this because it's cheap and deemed safer than alternatives like methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE). The logic was that oxygenating gasoline would make it burn cleaner. There is still some debate as to whether that is true or not, but the reality is that all gasoline is supposed to be oxygenated. Congress put no timetable (that I'm aware of) on the mandate, but Utah is one of the last states to implement it.

Most vehicles manufactured from the mid 1980's on shouldn't have much of a problem with the 10% blend. Carbureted vehicles may need to be adjusted and re-jetted, but the engine can handle the oxygenated fuel. What I worry about most is the fact that oxygenated fuel no longer functions as a lubricant. It dries out quickly and could potentially damage rubber fuel lines and in tank pumps.

When I read this KSL story a few months ago is when I first started researching oxygenated gasoline and the effects. Thats when I came across the Lucas Fuel Treatment. I've started using it about once every three fill ups. I can't say I've noticed any difference in power on the Samurai, but I wanted to make sure everything in the fuel system was getting lubricated.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA), mandates that oil refineries blend their gasoline products with up to 10% ethanol. This is a federal act. Utah is not mandating the use of ethanol in its gasoline.

Under Utah law, any station that sells gasoline blended with ethanol, MUST post signs indicating its presence. UDAF continues to monitor the presence of ethanol in fuels and to assure correct signage is in place at the pump. In addition to testing for ethanol, the UDAF tests for correct octane levels

In the past couple weeks I've purchased 91 or higher 0ctane fuel in Ut, Co, NV, Wy, Mt, and SD. Without exception, EVERY pump clearly stated 0% ethanol on 91 octane fuel. Shop around, you don't have to run it.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
The 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA), mandates that oil refineries blend their gasoline products with up to 10% ethanol. This is a federal act. Utah is not mandating the use of ethanol in its gasoline.

Under Utah law, any station that sells gasoline blended with ethanol, MUST post signs indicating its presence. UDAF continues to monitor the presence of ethanol in fuels and to assure correct signage is in place at the pump. In addition to testing for ethanol, the UDAF tests for correct octane levels

In the past couple weeks I've purchased 91 or higher 0ctane fuel in Ut, Co, NV, Wy, Mt, and SD. Without exception, EVERY pump clearly stated 0% ethanol on 91 octane fuel. Shop around, you don't have to run it.

I stand corrected then.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
It could be confirmation bias, but I don't think my fuel injected '86 likes it either. I will be sure to try out the Lucas additive.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Without exception, EVERY pump clearly stated 0% ethanol on 91 octane fuel. Shop around, you don't have to run it.

That's news to me, but I don't doubt it for a minute. Every pump I've found here locally with an Ethanol warning just says "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" and that's it. I haven't seen one that says 0% in 91 but that is good news if there is an option out there. Two stations that I usually fill up at that didn't used to have Ethanol have posted this warning within the last week :-\

I think all the spark-infested engines on the road are at the root of the problem.

Agreed! Diesel is my fuel of choice. I just wish the Rot Box ran on it because my Ford breaks down too much for me to drive it daily :( :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Not incorrect, just a bit premature. I think we'll see the time soon when all gasoline will contain ethanol.

And for the diesel owners pounding thier chests, you might want to research E-Diesel. Coming soon to a station near you and if you think fuel is expensive now, just wait... :rofl:

I stand corrected then.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have been running biodiesel through my truck for a while now the power suffers but the fuel mileage is through the roof i hit 27mpg with biodiesel the only downside is the newer commonrail diesel engines dont like it

And it only costs about 45 cents a gallon to make

rxcarl5

If what I have been told is correct at the gas station I work at, all fuel will have to have the up to 10% ethanol blend in them by no later then December 31 of this year. The owners of our station did not want to comply with this but put their pumps over to the ethanol standards about 3 weeks ago.

jdub

Scrambler
I casually have been looking at alternative fuels but it's the hassle of acquiring it. Cng and Propane both have some careful planning involved, so you don't run out. I'm still scared of diesel after the +$4 a gallon hike that we had a year ago. Dunno, gas seems to be the safest/most convenient. Bio diesel is cool but messy. Not for someone that lives in an apartment.

Thanks for the heads up on Lucas. I will try it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Its not that I don't like Ethanol... Its just that I want my mileage back and I would like my truck to not run like poop on it :D Maybe they'll make it cheaper to make up for the difference... Right?.... :rolleyes:

And for the diesel owners pounding thier chests, you might want to research E-Diesel. Coming soon to a station near you and if you think fuel is expensive now, just wait... :rofl:

Ughh! Buzz kill :(

Corban_White

Read up on the sweeping legislation passed in 2005:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005

Some reading on ethanol reveals that its production consumes more energy than it yields. The only reason it is still around is because of incentives and mandates.

FWIW I now get gas at the harts on north state in Lehi. They not only do not have E10 but they were advertising it for a while. IMO this tells me that they are against its use. I have also been able to find undiluted gas at the grocery store stations (macey's and harmons) as well as the flying J on Redwood by the refinery. I heard a rumor that all chevrons and mavericks in the state have switched over but cannot confirm this. Other stations like flying j and Philips 66 seem to vary by location weather they have it or not. I have never seen a sign stating that premium was any different than the others but I can tell you this, ethanol is a very cheap octane booster. The refineries are loving to put ethanol in their fuel because it lowers their costs and raises their margins.