ethernet cable or air card

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm lookin to borrow, rent or buy for as little as possible either an air card for a laptop, or somewhere around 300ft of ethernet cable.

Sounds crazy but let me know whatcha got.. The items if borrowed would be needed this friday night to saturday night.

Any assistance with this is greatly appreciated.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Feel like making your own?
I have a spool of cat 5 (unknown length)and some ends

EDIT...
I have no where near 300 feet, It may have been at one time, But no longer, Maybe 100' :(
Sorry

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I cannot stress the importance of this. The goal is to watch the U game via air card or cable as described above via The Mountain via slingbox.

My girl is a freak of a U fan and we've been planning to watch the game at the church before our reception this Saturday. Come to find out that there is no wireless there... Hence the question. ;)

Caleb

300' is pushing the 100m limit of Ethernet cable. Good luck getting a reliable video stream :D Same with over an air card ;)

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have about 300 feet of cat 5e cable and some ends you can have.... I might even have a roll of cat 6 which would be better for you.... let me look around...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
:rofl: you are SCREWED.

Save it

300' is pushing the 100m limit of Ethernet cable. Good luck getting a reliable video stream :D Same with over an air card ;)

I don't need your thoughts or opinions.. ;) I'm going with 300ft to be safe.. I think that 200ft will should do it..

I can make the cable for you

Possibly...

I have about 300 feet of cat 5e cable and some ends you can have.... I might even have a roll of cat 6 which would be better for you.... let me look around...

I like the sound of this...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Thats right... Your reception is this weekend. Tell you what, if you find some cable for free, I'll make the cable for you as a gift. :D
What is the address for the church?

krazz1e

300ft/100m is technically the limit on ethernet. Now, you can probably run it with a reduce rate say 10/half duplex but you may get alot of errors which may result in a slow connection.

Wireless on the other hand, no problem. Just get anything N (though it's still draft). Has great distance a good speed.

I cannot stress the importance of this. The goal is to watch the U game via air card or cable as described above via The Mountain via slingbox.

My girl is a freak of a U fan and we've been planning to watch the game at the church before our reception this Saturday. Come to find out that there is no wireless there... Hence the question. ;)

You are a good man! Jacey's a lucky girl. :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Problem solved.. I rented a fast, unlimited-use air card online for the week for $100 that will work with my laptop... Split between 4-6 people that's nothin.. My dad sold his tickets to the game to go to a bowl game anyways, so i know he's got extra money ;)

Huge thanks to those who offered their assistance!

gijohn40

300ft/100m is technically the limit on ethernet. Now, you can probably run it with a reduce rate say 10/half duplex but you may get alot of errors which may result in a slow connection.

Wireless on the other hand, no problem. Just get anything N (though it's still draft). Has great distance a good speed.

lets say you get a whopping 10mbps out of that 300 ft of cable... at what speed do you think the internet service is coming in at? the highest I have seen is 6-8 mbps (unless qwest has their fiber to site).... so at 8mbps going across a 10 mbps cable your not going to see a hole lot of slowing down and errors....

I have to laugh at people that go out and buy a N wireless router that runs at 104 mbps and then connect it to a dsl line rated at 768 Kbps... hell the old 11b service would work just as well... the only way your going to see the full 104 Mbps is if your transferring files between computers on the same network....

Caleb

lets say you get a whopping 10mbps out of that 300 ft of cable... at what speed do you think the internet service is coming in at? the highest I have seen is 6-8 mbps (unless qwest has their fiber to site).... so at 8mbps going across a 10 mbps cable your not going to see a hole lot of slowing down and errors....

I have to laugh at people that go out and buy a N wireless router that runs at 104 mbps and then connect it to a dsl line rated at 768 Kbps... hell the old 11b service would work just as well... the only way your going to see the full 104 Mbps is if your transferring files between computers on the same network....
I get a kick out of that too. However, the main benefit to N is not necessarily the speed, but the distance.

gijohn40

get a bigger antenna!!! this one will get my 11g about a half mile down the road... lol

Attachments

• John Hall 092.jpg
    John Hall 092.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 2