Evaluate my welds!

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
I am trying to weld in some new 14 Gage sheet metal into the rocker panels in my Cruiser. (I have cut away the bad metal). I keep getting booger welds. I am using a Lincoln 125 amp welder with .035 flux core wire. When I set the Voltage to 'E' I blow holes in the sheet metal (the stock 18 ga on the cruiser) and if I set the voltage do 'D' the arc strikes for a second, and the wire coming out of the gun pushes it away. If I try to lower the wire speed, I get ZIP nothing ZIP nothing ZIP nothing.

Anyhow, I know I need to listen for the sound of bacon sizzling.
Also, should I be PUSHING the weld puddle or PULLING the weld puddle?

Thanks

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
this is Shawn's forte..... :rolleyes: .... he's the one that can 'evaluate' your welds :rofl:

j/k Shawn..... ;)

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
set it on C and 2. you should be pulling it, if it's making slow popping sound your to far away you want to be fairly close. From the pics of your weld it looks like your going to fast or your wire is pulsing, Make sure there's no severe bends in the line going to your gun and that you have the proper tension set on the wire pickup, also make sure your using the correct groove on the spindle.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I found that when I was welding thin stuff, I have better luck pushing the puddle. I use a Miller 175, but I found it better to go to the .024 wire for sheet metal. I kept blowing through with the .035.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like 5 bucks said, make sure you are close enough. The wire sticking out of your gun should be 1/2" to 3/8" long. Do short welds, 3/8" long, then move to another part of the panel to avoid heating up the panel too much. Flux core tends to burn hotter than solid wire.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Coreshot said:
I found it better to go to the .024 wire for sheet metal. I kept blowing through with the .035.

I did not use flux core, but wire size made a big diff on the thin stuff.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
The main advantage's of flux core are the increased penatration and being able to use it in the wind. I prefer Tri Mix over the C25 when i do GMAW, atleast on Mild steel.

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
Shawn said:
Turn the heat up and stich weld. Meaning, weld for a 1/2 inch or so and let it cool for about 10 seconds.

Stitch wwelding is what I have been doing. These photos are after about 10 passes. Each wwelding for about an inch, then putting a wet rag on the weld. Hasn't warped the sheet metal. I just finished and ground down the boogers. I am going over a few spots where I didn't get good penetration.

All in all, I think its going pretty well. I am not as fast as some others, but then again, this is my first real attempt at welding.

-James

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like others said, it would be easier with smaller wire if you can use some. The larger wire takes more heat to burn itself. It's just like a fuse. you are welding with a 30 amp fuse, but you should be using a 15-20 amp fuse.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
Like others said, it would be easier with smaller wire if you can use some. The larger wire takes more heat to burn itself. It's just like a fuse. you are welding with a 30 amp fuse, but you should be using a 15-20 amp fuse.
In looking at the potos again, it is Very clear that there is way to much wire or wire speed. When I welded my 14 gage I used .025 wire. Also, It does not apear that you are moving the tip in a "U" shape but more in a staight line. Try and blend in the two metals side to side about 1/4".

As many have stated, your wire is way to thick.

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
Shawn said:
In looking at the potos again, it is Very clear that there is way to much wire or wire speed. When I welded my 14 gage I used .025 wire. Also, It does not apear that you are moving the tip in a "U" shape but more in a staight line. Try and blend in the two metals side to side about 1/4".

As many have stated, your wire is way to thick.

Today, I finished the drivers side, and did the passengers side. I turned down the heat, and used less wirespeed. I also used more of a circular motion. I still need practice, but my welds were alot better on the passengers side.
Drivers side took alot of grinding, but once I finished, it looked good.
The blue stuff in the photo is body filler. I still need to sand it down. The silver is POR15.

On the passengers side, I ran out of time, and I won't be able to touch the truck until sunday. So I rattlecanned it with some Rustoleum. That will get ground off, and I will POR15 it like I did on the other side.

bigchev79

TigerStripe40 said:
I am trying to weld in some new 14 Gage sheet metal into the rocker panels in my Cruiser. (I have cut away the bad metal). I keep getting booger welds. I am using a Lincoln 125 amp welder with .035 flux core wire. When I set the Voltage to 'E' I blow holes in the sheet metal (the stock 18 ga on the cruiser) and if I set the voltage do 'D' the arc strikes for a second, and the wire coming out of the gun pushes it away. If I try to lower the wire speed, I get ZIP nothing ZIP nothing ZIP nothing.

Anyhow, I know I need to listen for the sound of bacon sizzling.
Also, should I be PUSHING the weld puddle or PULLING the weld puddle?

Thanks

what flaver bubbel gum is that