Ever heard of Moab 4x4 outpost? Rock Tools suspension?

sams92xj

I have seen an Unlimited in the Holladay area with a Rock Tools long arm kit. It was the same jeep featured in 4wd and Sport Utility Magazine. The suspension looked pretty cool, but I haven't been able to find anything else.

mierdota

I have seen an Unlimited in the Holladay area with a Rock Tools long arm kit. It was the same jeep featured in 4wd and Sport Utility Magazine. The suspension looked pretty cool, but I haven't been able to find anything else.

i saw this one too i think their suspensions are cool that unlimited is sweet

RedBull_RockIt

Steve, Pepper, and the team at Outpost are off the hook. When we need ANY work done while within 300 miles of there, we make the trip. They have one of the best setup shops in the industry and some great talent to go with it.
A disclaimer: I have NOT seen the suspension you are referring to...I am only backing the people, the quality of work, and the history of Steve, Pepper, and the shop. Knowing them, I'd have faith that the suspension will be a good one.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I myself have never had a good experience with them and I'm sure it is because I don't drive a new rubicon or unlimited. Both times I have been stranded I went in there for parts or some kind of direction as to where to get them and since I don't have a fat wallet and a new rig they couldn't and didn't want to help. I will never go back.

RedBull_RockIt

I myself have never had a good experience with them and I'm sure it is because I don't drive a new rubicon or unlimited. Both times I have been stranded I went in there for parts or some kind of direction as to where to get them and since I don't have a fat wallet and a new rig they couldn't and didn't want to help. I will never go back.

New Rubicon or Unlimited??? Those guys work on ANYTHING and actually make most of their work from older rigs, which are the mainstay of offroading in Moab...We can't be talking about the same place. Those guys are as resourceful as it gets, work after hours for just about anybody, have a ton of ideas and advice, and bend over backwards for even the most dollar conscious of people as that is their core business.
Only because of their location, if you have a specialty need, it usually takes more than a day or two to get things as even Fed Ex does not deliver overnight to Moab in many cases...it's not their fault, it's the milldle of nowhere location we all love and that's just something you have to put up with as EVERY business there faces the same issue.
I find your story VERY hard to believe...are you sure you are talking about Moab 4x4 Outpost??? There are other 4x4 businesses in that town too...I'm wondering if you have them confused...? If you really are talking about them, you just caught them on a really off moment...that is NOTHING like them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
New Rubicon or Unlimited??? Those guys work on ANYTHING and actually make most of their work from older rigs, which are the mainstay of offroading in Moab...We can't be talking about the same place. Those guys are as resourceful as it gets, work after hours for just about anybody, have a ton of ideas and advice, and bend over backwards for even the most dollar conscious of people as that is their core business.
Only because of their location, if you have a specialty need, it usually takes more than a day or two to get things as even Fed Ex does not deliver overnight to Moab in many cases...it's not their fault, it's the milldle of nowhere location we all love and that's just something you have to put up with as EVERY business there faces the same issue.
I find your story VERY hard to believe...are you sure you are talking about Moab 4x4 Outpost??? There are other 4x4 businesses in that town too...I'm wondering if you have them confused...? If you really are talking about them, you just caught them on a really off moment...that is NOTHING like them.

X2. I've never needed their services personally, but people I've been wheeling with that have broken have gone there, and been treated VERY well. From finding hard-to-source parts there in town, to minor welding jobs, to replacing broken D35 shafts in POS YJ's--they've been awesome to work with, and very fair priced even after "normal" business hours.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
yeah we are talking about the same place even though we had tried every where else in town and no one was of any help. It was 2 weeks after easter so maybe they were still worn out from the busy week and maybe I expect too much of them but in my own mind I would have figured that a place(moab) that has thousands of people come through a year that there would be a place you get parts without having to make 2 trips all the way back to salt lake city to advanced 4 wheel drive to get parts and one trip to delta colorado for more parts just to get the rig off the trail.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Ya, I saw something similar. A guy that was on Pritchett in an old CJ7 had the front half of his frame break right behind the rear leaf mounts on the front springs--they managed to get it off the trail and took it down there. They quoted him about $350 to do the work on his frame. When he went and picked it up the next morning the guy that did the work said it wasn't as bad as he had anticipated and only charged him 80 bucks. If I remember right they stayed after hours to get it done too.

Another time, Wally broke the sector shaft on his steering box on the Rock Pile. I drove out of the trail and down to the Outpost where Austin sold me the steering box OFF OF HIS OWN PROJECT YJ....although he did make me take it off cause he was busy.

Like I said, they've always gone above and beyond the call of duty for me. Just like in any service industry you can't make everyone happy and I'm sure there are a few people that have had bad experiences.

Cody

lewis

Fight Till You Die
is because I don't drive a new rubicon or unlimited.
the reason I said that was because I was needing dana44 parts and the guy asked me if it was on a rubicon and I said no and he said,Well I don't have anything for ya then.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
the reason I said that was because I was needing dana44 parts and the guy asked me if it was on a rubicon and I said no and he said,Well I don't have anything for ya then.

maybe he happened to have a pos rubi 34 laying around and had just plain sold out of normal worthless 44 parts because everyone, and I mean everyone, that has a 44 and wheels moderately difficult trails breaks it at least a couple times in a 10 minute period. Now, if 1 out of every 10 wheelers had made the mistake of putting some form of a 44 front in their rig, then mathematically there would be probably 1000 rigs (10% of 10,000 rigs)during the 6 month wheeling season that broke at least 11 (average broken parts in 25 feet of trail for any jeep/ford model 44 front axles) parts while in town. I imagine 44 parts would become pretty scarce.

It may, or may not, have been them trying to **** you.

you decide. It's science.

Cody
I mean really, who puts the biggest turd of a front axle in a rig, and then gets mad when they destroy it and can't find parts to fix it? You put the POS in your rig--you're the guilty one. All fingers point at self.

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
maybe he happened to have a pos rubi 34 laying around and had just plain sold out of normal worthless 44 parts because everyone, and I mean everyone, that has a 44 and wheels moderately difficult trails breaks it at least a couple times in a 10 minute period. Now, if 1 out of every 10 wheelers had made the mistake of putting some form of a 44 front in their rig, then mathematically there would be probably 1000 rigs (10% of 10,000 rigs)during the 6 month wheeling season that broke at least 11 (average broken parts in 25 feet of trail for any jeep/ford model 44 front axles) parts while in town. I imagine 44 parts would become pretty scarce.

It may, or may not, have been them trying to **** you.

you decide. It's science.

Cody
I mean really, who puts the biggest turd of a front axle in a rig, and then gets mad when they destroy it and can't find parts to fix it? You put the POS in your rig--you're the guilty one. All fingers point at self.

Some people never have a bit of trouble with their 44s. Maybe it is the difference between using parts that you know are good and using worn out junkyard stuff that is half broken before you even hit the trail.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
ya. tire, motor, and terrain have an effect too.

I'm just giving the guy a hard time. At the end of my 44 days I had just about exhausted the supply of spare 44 shafts around here.

ewander

They were great to help us out in a bad situation. Fixed a broken frame on our CJ after a roll down the Moab Rim for a reasonable price. They fixed it almost immedately on a busy weekend. They welded a broken/stripped RE track arm also once, again with a fax turn around and a decent price.

No complaints here.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
you decide. its science.
funny you say that cause I said the same thing which would make a business down there aware of this and they could have the parts and charge a premium for them and make a ton of money because we would having been willing to pay way more then they were worth just so we could get off the trail even though we don't have a lot of money we would have found a way. And just so ya know I have run a 44 for 5 years and have only broken a ball joint on constrictor and i run 39 tsl's with a sbc 400 pushing over 300 horse and I have done most the trails in moab including the ones at bfe. So maybe I just understand science a little better.

The parts were for my brothers rig. The outpost may be a great place and has probably helped many ,but when we were in need of help or direction there customer service was at that moment the worst I've experienced.

Cody
Guilty as charged but why change if I haven't had any problems. My brother on the other hand plans on a change.

Last edited: