Exhaust for a TJ

smithmonsters

I'm going to do exhaust on my tj soon and want to know what you guys think is the best way to do it. Do you think a kit such as gibson or borla is the way or custom make one. Ive heard mandrel bent tubing makes it better but i know it can be expensive. Ive got a price from master muffler to do it for 225. Or i can get a gibson for about 235 and install myself. The buddy of mine with a cherokee got a gibson and although it sounds good and seems to run good, has a huge muffler on it that i dont perticularly care for. Oh yeah the Mstr Muflr price was for a magna flow with press bent 2 1/2 tubeing.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have the magna flow on my tj and really like it. I would rec. keeping your orig. tailpipe because it is better than anything aftermarket as far as longivety goes. It is made out of a gavanized steel (or something like that)that lasts forever and the best aftermarket is either aluminized which doesn't last that long or stainless which is hard to weld on and really pricey. The master muffler price should go down if they just put the muffler on.

Medsker

Underdog

I can't speak to changing the entire exhaust system, but I recently installed a Banks Header on my Jeep (left the rest of the exhaust stock 'cause it wasn't broke). It went in easy and has increased my gas mileage by a little over 1 MPG.

Jeromy

I went the master muffler route. I paid a little more than you were quoted, I believe I went with 2 3/4 pipe and a magnaflow muffler. Not to loud and made it feel a little more peppy. Pretty happy with it overall.

Jeromy

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I had them install a turbo muffler from Master Muffler on mine and it did pretty well for the 4 cyl. I run dual exhaust now with Flowmaster 40's on them.

smithmonsters

Do those flowmaster 40's sound good ? Ive thought about keeping the stock tail pipe but it is dented up and they have some pretty restrictive bends in the. Thanx for all the info. Keep it coming if youve got it.

P

pokeyYJ

I am taking my 98 TJ in friday to get a Magnaflow stainless steel muffler put on it, I went with a pretty small muffler though because I like the sound.

My dad had a series 40 on his 2000 TJ, sounded REALLY good, had a throaty growl on start up and around 2000 RPM.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
PierCed_3 said:
I had them install a turbo muffler from Master Muffler on mine and it did pretty well for the 4 cyl. I run dual exhaust now with Flowmaster 40's on them.

I love the sounds of the 40's, I wish I would have run larger than 2" pipes on both sides though. I have 1.75" on both sides, thought it would be just fine. It is over 3" total diameter but it dwarfs the sound.