Exo

Exo?

• Total voters

Clutch

I'm all for EXO's I rolled my truck before the exo, so my main reason for adding it was safety, (and not wanting to do bodywork again)
I also want to keep my truck in good condition. I really happy with the Rocklogic design too.

Attachments

• SEDBAFLEXSMALL.jpg
    SEDBAFLEXSMALL.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 12
OK, Ok, I give, can't hold out any longer!

Exos : I like them and hate them at the same time. I am sure some can relate.

Given that the vehicle I am currently in process of building will need some additional body protection (if I plan to keep it somewhat straight looking), I can see a definite attraction with an exo-cage.

The problem I see with exos is that unless done very well, the only thing they end up accomplishing are two things. One, they get a lot more unwanted weight up high on the rig where it is most hindersome. And two, I have seen many of them that colapse too far under pressure so that instead of a big rock denting the quarter panel... the exo bar caves it in. Even with a very well built exo, you will never keep a cherry body cherry if you really really wheel it. If the exo is to be used as a means of protecting the occupants instead of the vehicle sheet metal, then a little body damage should be of secondary concern and the exo can be built to that goal.

My Liberty just has too much body to try to cover without adding way too much unwanted upper vehicle weight for me to go that route, but I will create something to protect the corners, rockers and front clip more than likely.

I definitely don't buy into the "trail nazis" ideas of "if it's a daily driver, you can't run it here" That's absolute crap. Some of the funnest and most capable rigs I've owned have been "drivers". If I want to go break mine somewhere hardcore, I will and do.

This sport is all about having fun, not buying or building only the "approved" type of rigs. If you like exos, run one. If you don't, don't. I have had both types of vehicles, drivers and dedicated rigs. Both are a lot of fun, and there are things I would do in my 7 that you won't catch me doing in my latest Jeep, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be dared :D :D :D and that doesn't mean I might not wish I had built an exo in a few months!

-Adam

grinch

inner city redneck
muleskinner said:
I guess you weren't ready for those trails Von :rolleyes:

Wow you like to take things out of context dont you.... :rolleyes:
Its true there are quite a few capable Exo rigs out there that can take tough trails(In most cases I think they are ugly as hell and weigh way to much) Thats my opnion and im entitled to it :eek: ... Vons old truck was one of the exo rigs that could do them. But in MOST cases people who are building exos are not bulding rigs that are appropriate for these trails. They are still hung up on the I got to drive it home Issue.... And oh my &*%$# I just put a dend in my side :-\
Exos have thier places on trail rigs and mall crawlers... If that hurts your feeling Im sorry. Question thoagh. How many modified comp rigs do you see running exos???? How many Unlimited rigs???
Get where Im going with this????

muleskinner

grinch said:
Wow you like to take things out of context dont you.... :rolleyes:
Its true there are quite a few capable Exo rigs out there that can take tough trails(In most cases I think they are ugly as hell and weigh way to much) Thats my opnion and im entitled to it :eek: ... Vons old truck was one of the exo rigs that could do them. But in MOST cases people who are building exos are not bulding rigs that are appropriate for these trails. They are still hung up on the I got to drive it home Issue.... And oh my &*%$# I just put a dend in my side :-\
Exos have thier places on trail rigs and mall crawlers... If that hurts your feeling Im sorry. Question thoagh. How many modified comp rigs do you see running exos???? How many Unlimited rigs???
Get where Im going with this????

How was that out of context? I quoted you directly... As for doing you "hack up tube guys a favor" and not wheeling where I want to... :flipoff: I agree that alot of exo's are UGLY but there are also some that are done killer. I don't think theres anything wrong with wanting to wheel your DD. Some people can't afford a tow rig and a trailer and their wheeler. As for modified comp rigs, there are a few (Tracy, Von and a few other locals that I can think of) but I think most of them are not daily drivers ;) I chose not to build an exo on my rig but I still like them if they are done corectly. And my feelings are O.K. thanks for the concern :D

J Kimmel

I have enjoyed the exo on my 4Runner, I've used it hard for a couple of years now. There are some really over-tubed exos out there, I think its really personal preference. I've liked mine, but I'm ready to move on. I think this winter its all getting cut off along with most of the body and its getting tubed. I added one ton axles last winter, now its time to lighten it up, I can't wait.

Like I said, I think its all preference.

Here's a couple shots of mine-

COMING_THROUGH.JPG

PIC00047.JPG

Jeremy

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
We just finished a Commanche *truggy* for a buddy of mine. I think it came out well. But I have to say that most of the exo's I've seen are really lame looking. Most guy's with them made them look like a bunch of 90* elbows all welded together.

Here's the MJ

Snoopy

*Rock*Binder
another.

I'm in process of building my Scout into a buggy of sorts, but I'm leaving the front tube work behind the fenders. I'm not too into the exo-look, but when you have a unibody vehicle, there's not much you can do about it, except do it as tastefully as you can!