Experience/Opinion of an auto locker in the front axle

DsmRacing

I wanted to hear your guys' opinions of the use of an auto locker in the front axle on a wrangler. I just purchased a super 35 kit for the rear w/detroit locker and wanted to go with a selectable for the front, but ARB's, E-lockers are expensive and OX lockers. I'm running stock axles with 33's right now, but that could always change, hence why I don't want to drop a ton of money into the stock axles, plus I might change to a newer jeep. Still undecided on that one.

So, what has your exp been with auto locker's in the front on pavement, snow, ice, etc... All driving conditions on-road:greg: Also, what one to go with? Lockright, spartan, other?

Are there other selectable lockers that are around $300-350 out there?

Thanks,

Chad

I had an aussie-locker in the front axle of my rig, and it sucked. I will never do it again. Go selectable or leave it open. My primary concern was high speed driving in 4-hi, the locker would go in and out and pull at odd times. When rock-crawling, it's nice to have a front locker, but I'd much rather have a selctable for tight turns and such.

thenag

I had an 87 bronco with a gm 14 bolt and a Detroit in the rear and a d60 with a lockrite in the front on 37 inch mtr's. I had a twin sticked transfer case. (those axles are sitting under a 99 xj on jack stands right now)

I didn't really drive it on pavement in snow too much, when I did I would shift out of 4wd drive for corners, the truck wanted to go straight with the lockrite up front.

On normal pavement it is fine in 2wd :)

Offroad it was fine for me but I rarely had the front axle engaged since I could just shift the front into neutral pretty much whenever I wanted to. The rear of the bronco hooked up pretty well so for most things I would just crawl over in rear wheel drive. I would get to an obstacle and then engage the front, then get off the obstacle and disengage it.

I also think with a manual transmission it is a little easier, you push the clutch in and the lockrite kind of un-loads. Also when it was bound up and stopped on an obstacle, I could rev the motor to get more pressure from the PS pump to turn the tires.

I had to drive from Moab to SL in front wheel drive with the lockrite, that was a handful that was enough for me to not want to do that again. I did get pretty good at anticipating when each side would engage and disengage but I still think that I was swerving enough that people probably thought I was drunk.

So if you plan to hit any kind of speed with a lockrite in the front I would say don't do it based on my experience.

I know with the lockrite you can install it pretty easy so if just want to be able to drive on snowy roads you could put your spider gears in for the winter, I always said I would do that but never did.

The bronco was 6500lbs which should work better than a lighter vehicle for an automatic locker. We will see what happens in the xj. We do plan on putting an ARB or Zip in the d-60 at some point.

Nathan
-99 xj build thread
http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83436

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i have a spartan locker up front and a lockright out back in my 1991 4runner. When i put the locker up front i was expecting all the horrible things like being really hard to then pulling straight and locking and unlocking randomly but i was plesantly surprised. It was not even a problem on the high speed stuff and the street because i wasnt in 4wheel even though my hubs were locked. In rock crawling it was a little harder to turn but not much and i never had it feel like it was unlocking when i didnt want it or being out of control.

I would prefer the spartan locker over my lockright anyday it is easier to install and has a much smoother operation id go with a spartan if you go auto locker in the front for sure

Too Far

parts is parts
I ran a lockrite in the front 44 on my old sas trooper. I had dual cases on that one, so I ran around in 2wd low most of the time and only engaged the front axle when needed. It worked ok for my purposes, but I did break the pins in the locker a couple of times. There is no doubt that a selectable locker is the way to go, but given the choice of no locker or a lockrite I would run a lockrite.

Bart

When you're doing these comparisons, remember that DSMRacing does not have selectable hubs on the front axle. At least that's what I'm assuming.

I ran a Lockright in the front an XJ for a while. It clanked a lot on tight corners in parking lots and could be handful on slick roads in the winter, but it was predictable.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i have had a lockrite in the front of my TJ for 4 years now with no problems, i never really notice it on the street or even during the winter

DsmRacing

I picked the super 35 up used for $350 and it comes with the locker, which is less than what I could find one for, or a spartan is in the $250 range. I was looking for something simple and better than what I have.

I've decided that I'm going to go with a used ARB when I find one. I have a bid on ebay for one right now, plus I like the idea of putting an on-board kit on. We'll see. Honestly just looking forward to getting back and go wheeling again. Oh yeah, no locking hubs, the jeep is mostly stock with a 4" lift of some kind. I have rock guards and front sway bar disconnects to install when I get back.

Thanks,

Chad