Experience with Torq Locker?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, there's that. But it also depends on what kind of wheeling is being done and whatnot. And gear setup for some people is an expense that may or may not be prohibitive, for a full Detroit... and especially with the Torq locker's super-easy installation, that might be a meaningful difference. *shrug YMMV, as always. :D

The thing I don't like about the lunchbox lockers is how fast the dog clutch teeth round off and it begins to 'skip'. I've ran through 3 of them over the years, all the same result within a few years. You can flip them and get another year our of the teeth before they start slipping again but yea. For only couple hundred more I'd rather have a proper Detroit or whatever the yukon one is.

SSR

The thing I don't like about the lunchbox lockers is how fast the dog clutch teeth round off and it begins to 'skip'. I've ran through 3 of them over the years, all the same result within a few years. You can flip them and get another year our of the teeth before they start slipping again but yea. For only couple hundred more I'd rather have a proper Detroit or whatever the yukon one is.

My gears are trashed, so I guess this provides me the opportunity to go with a Detroit, Yukon, Torq or whatever locker is best. I have read stories of the detroit failing when a shaft breaks, anyone had a Detroit fail? Anyone have experience with both the Detroit and the Yukon in a 60?

ID Bronco

My gears are trashed, so I guess this provides me the opportunity to go with a Detroit, Yukon, Torq or whatever locker is best. I have read stories of the detroit failing when a shaft breaks, anyone had a Detroit fail? Anyone have experience with both the Detroit and the Yukon in a 60?

I had a detroit fail when the shafts broke, but it was a Ford 9". The Detroit was repairable.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The shock-loading of the shaft letting go somehow breaks the Detroit locker.... I've seen it happen (to Shawn on here) and he just thought the shaft broke. He replaced the shaft, loaded his Cruiser up for a Moab trip only to unload it for a trail run and realize that his Detroit had broken, too.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yea I was gonna say, I think I was on that trip with Shawn when his detroit failed after a u-joint went on the front axle... unless my memory is really that bad.

I run a detroit in the front currently and it is a concern. There was talk on a few forums a while back about detroit quality going down a bit after being sold to another company. The Yukon version has claimed to solve this issue with better quality side gears.