experience

Freeman Jeep

i want someones experience with the hp dana 44 and dana 60 rear out of the late 70's fords. Anything to look out for i've run the set up for awhile now with 35's and locked front and rear but i want to run 37's or so what are some of the weak points from experience not just based on opinion haha thanks!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Stock joints and shafts in the front are the first thing I'd upgrade. If the rear shafts are 30 spline, you will probably be ok. If they are 19 spline, go buy a 30 spline carrier and shafts from the junkyard and swap them out, or bore the spindles out and run 35 spline. Other than that, I don't think you'd have many problems on 37's as long as you don't drive like a bag of buttholes.

Last edited:

Freeman Jeep

i figured the ujoints were gonna give me problems but i usually dont romp on the jeep. im pretty light footed not a rock hopper. so i was planning on doing stronger shafts and ujoints down the road the rear is 30 spline so i'll leave that alone for now but thanks for the info!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
i figured the ujoints were gonna give me problems but i usually dont romp on the jeep. im pretty light footed not a rock hopper. so i was planning on doing stronger shafts and ujoints down the road the rear is 30 spline so i'll leave that alone for now but thanks for the info!

Should be a pretty tough setup. :)

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Jumping to conclusions there Choco....:rofl: Reread the first post

He already has the axles and they are installed. I'm guessing he has a 78~79 F250 HP 44. As stated by Monkey and in my PM back to you. It goes hubs, joints-shafts,carrier,ring and pinion. As you upgrade each thing the weakness just travels down the line. If you are not out romping it you will not have to many problems. How are they locked currently? If it's a Detroit be careful. If you do blow a shaft,hub,joint you will also take out the locker. It's not a maybe it's a given. At the same time they can normally be fixed with some parts. I have one out of my old rig I need to rebuild for the current ZJ.

Freeman Jeep

Yup they're installed and know pretty much anything that's been put on the web. I was just curious as too what the real weaknesses were compared to web wheelers opinions haha thanks guys