Exploding fan issue

Cooper

I was driving down the road to work the other day, I pushed the gas and my clutch fan exploded. It popped the hood and pulled a belt off and destroyed the air intake box. The thing is its the second time that it has happened. I cant seem to find anything that is causing it. When I replaced it I used a whole new clutch fan blades and shroud. Im going to pick up a new setup today and was curious if anyone knew any way to not have this one explode ha ha.

I've never heard of this happening. There has to be some problem causing it, not just defective fans. Water pump trashed so it isn't balanced/centered? Belts too tight? Maybe another pulley that isn't perfectly round?

Cooper

I guess those details would be needed hu. Its a 94 4runner with a 3.0 engine. I will get pics up tomorrow. I purchased a fan today and decided to go with the pickup version of the fan, the one without the ring around the edge. Im going to check the pulleys and water pump tomorrow. Thats a great idea.

carsonc1974

This is pretty common on early 12 Cummins 12v. As far as an idea ofcause... I would guess bad water pump bearing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk