Expo Suburban??

Raleigh

OMF Dave
So question for you guys, is a Suburban too big to be a capable expo rig?

I picked up a super clean '94 6.5 Turbo Diesel for a daily driver and for trips, light pulling (when I build a rig that is) and I am thinking it could be a sweet rig.

I am thinking a small lift and BF Goodrich A/T tires, winch you know, the basics...

Any thoughts?

sixstringsteve

Absolutely, that could be a very cool overland vehicle. I think almost any 4x4 could get you most places out in the Utah desert.

Chevycrew

To keep it the most reliable, I would keep the suspension stock. But a 2" body lift and some fender trimming will fit you 33s on 8 wides with no major issues.

I had a 94 k2500, 350, 5spd, with 3" body, cranked torsion bars, and 33x12.50 swampers on 10 wide wheels. I killed ball joints and cv's due to longer shocks and cranked bars, but other than that it was great.

Over time the frame started to bend where the rear of the lower control arms attach (bending towards vehicle center) from the force of the tires getting shoved back by objects that got ran over.

The frame is quite low on those trucks, so some skid plating would be a good idea.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I love suburbans! I still miss mine. So much room for everything you need to take and all the stuff you don't:D

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Love the capacity a Burb has... and you can find them with killer drivetrains!

My Suburban served me really well... TOW RIG, TOOL CRIB, CAMPER ===> PARTY WAGON (cause it was fitted with 9 seatbelts).

It was a 1991 with 6.2L with Banks Sidewinder Turbo/4L80E/NP205/D60/14bolt/6" Leaf Spring Lift/33's to tow and 35's for DD

Surburban_yota_towing.jpg

Surburban_W36s.jpg

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ha. We had a '94 6.5TD. 2500. 4.10 gears. Limited leather etc...
It's kindoff interesting to get 600 miles to the tank. I regularly squeezed 18mpg out of it, Top speed tached out was like 82mph it didn't much like over 75 mph....

Every once and a while I kinda miss it. It's for sure a weird diesel and it loves to rev... like 4200prm isn't that weird... even towing.

You NEED a remote PMD because the stock one overheats and randomly shuts off the motor. Get a #9 resistor for a little more power.

I cranked the torsion bars to level the ride height and kill some body roll.

Heath Diesel makes some goodies for that motor. Make sure you keep a clean fuel filter in it too. Keep an eye on your harmonic dampener, ours came apart. Keep clean fluid in the hydroboost system.

Is it 3/4ton or half ton? Ours had the full floater 14 bolt rear.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've just picked up another Burb and will be moving towards expo territory with it. Straight axle '91 w/a 4L80e, and I'm debating putting the Cummins in it. They make excellent, self-contained 2-4person expo rigs. I'll also be swapping a 60 in pretty soon and running H1's on 37's.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Mine is a 2500, 14 bolt rear.

I will be doing the remote PMD next week when it arrives.

My research that this http://walkingjdesigns.myshopify.com/products/6-5l-diesel-turbo-charger-a-team is the best way to go for tune and turbo, price is right too.

Another thing will be 4" straight piping the exhaust with a 3" DP. Nice about the '94 is no emissions testing.
I am also looking into going to a manual injection pump rather than the electric for more reliability.

As far as tires go I am thinking nothing too big, maybe 275/65/18.

It would be awesome to do a SAS on it, not sure how feasible that is though. I would rather put that money into a buggy or truggy.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I can vouch for that, having much experience at speed w/both setups. IFS Burb was much, much cushier over dirt roads. SA Burb was much, much better in terrain. So evaluate your use and choose accordingly. :D

SAS kits are available for the IFS rigs, ORD did a great job on a truck for the most recent Ultimate Adventure: The main problem with them is that the frame design puts them up fairly high no matter what.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've just picked up another Burb and will be moving towards expo territory with it. Straight axle '91 w/a 4L80e, and I'm debating putting the Cummins in it. They make excellent, self-contained 2-4person expo rigs. I'll also be swapping a 60 in pretty soon and running H1's on 37's.

You better post an actual build thread, rather than just talking about it... -_-

:p

Really, I'd love to see something like this. I think Suburbans are neat Overland vehicles, as long as the trails don't get too tight.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The most famous EXPO rated and Overland Edition Suburban... EVER!

The Dante's Peak Apocalypse Escape Vehicle:
DSC07095.jpg

Tarmac cruising rated:
1.jpg

Ramming-vehicle rated:
i153037.jpg

Navigate busy streets rated:
i016893.jpg

Maximum Cargo Storage, Aux lights, and a snorkel.. EXPO RATED:
5.jpg

Deep water fording rated:
26.jpg

1760550006_medium.jpg

Last edited:

kd7kmp

That Burban was the best part of that movie...and this is coming from a geologist.

Darn it, Sami, now I need to start thinking about "upgrading" my '90 Burban.

Kevin