extending a flat bad trailer

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
OK so i am picking up a new/old trailer from my father-in law. It is 24ft i believe but its the heavy heavy duty back hoe trailer with two 10k axles under it. So here is the question. I was thinking about hw i can fit both the CJ and the XJ on it. I know it will be tight but maybe a foot or so short of fitting both on. After seeing what bucking bronco did with his truck i am curious if its possible to lengthen the trailer by making ramps. Like i said i know the trailer is well capable of the weight but is there any laws on doing this? Has anybody seen it done? I am just think now and seeing bucking broncos rig i am really curious. Any input would be great, Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Is it a bumper-pull, or a gooseneck/5th wheel? Extending a trailer can give you big problems, because unless you extend the front of the trailer, you can easily run into balance issues (too little or no tongue weight...) which would render the trailer ridiculously unsafe, and virtually unuseable.

If you decide to do it, I'd make damn sure to run all the numbers several times to make sure it will even be functional when you're done...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My 26' deck will take two Jeeps with no problem at all.

CJ8 and "CJ7"
"CJ7" and TJ
"CJ7" and Bucking Bronco's buggy
"CJ7" and ZJ

I'd see what you can do with the 24' before getting to anxious about lengthening it.

I think you'll be almost touching with 24' and an XJ-CJ load but try it out. Overhang the front of the XJ over the front of the trailer and see how the CJ fits on. I'd bet you'll be OK?

twojeeps.jpg

twojeeps2.jpg

twojeeps3.jpg
twojeeps4.jpg

You can tell there's not a BUNCH of room with the 26' deck, but if the ZJ didn't have the brush guard and everything was all snuggly, you could probably get away with the YJ and ZJ within about 24.5'?

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I wouldn't think adding a foot or two would make that much of a difference. Of course when loading it you would want as much of the added weight forward.
Mbryson, what is the distance between your front axle and the front of the trailer, vs the rear axle and rear of the trailer?

I would think the worst case would be to add the two feet and then move the front axle behind the rear axle. But I don't think you would need to.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
I was thinking about the balance issue and once i have the trailer here i will be able to play with parking the rigs on. Its a bumper pull also like yours but pulling with the 1 ton also. I am just throwing ideas out to see if it has been done if i need to. Btw are you ever going to paint your doors? :)

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
unstuck....have you seen bucking bronco rig? That is kinda what i was thinking about on the tail of the trailer if needed, I think if i put the xj up front and the cj to the rear it would kinda balance out. The xj is about 4500 and the CJ is 3800lbs

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I wouldn't think adding a foot or two would make that much of a difference. Of course when loading it you would want as much of the added weight forward.
Mbryson, what is the distance between your front axle and the front of the trailer, vs the rear axle and rear of the trailer?

I would think the worst case would be to add the two feet and then move the front axle behind the rear axle. But I don't think you would need to.

How are the axles centered on the trailer? I don't really know. I could measure if it meant something to someone. I bought it exactly as it sits. Been very happy with the trailer.

I was thinking about the balance issue and once i have the trailer here i will be able to play with parking the rigs on. Its a bumper pull also like yours but pulling with the 1 ton also. I am just throwing ideas out to see if it has been done if i need to. Btw are you ever going to paint your doors? :)

Strange you should ask about the doors. My fenders are going to get another shot of gray along with a replacement windshield frame. The doors are now gray, but will likely get a shot at the same time.

You'll be a little shorter than me, but with the heavy duty axles, you may be OK?