Fabricated fenders on a YJ?

GreenYJ

Hello,
I have 33" tires with stock fenders. problem....thats kinda illegal in Utah. I am thinking about fabricating metal fenders to extend over my MUD throwers. Any one have any suggestions or has any one ever seen it done?

GreenYJ

I already have home fabricated 2" x 2" 3/8" square sliders welded on like nerf bars and I was thinking about just adding to them and then welding in some sheet metal between the body and square tube. I think they will hold up to the bashin I am gonna give them during easter jeep safari.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
GreenYJ said:
I already have home fabricated 2" x 2" 3/8" square sliders welded on like nerf bars and I was thinking about just adding to them and then welding in some sheet metal between the body and square tube. I think they will hold up to the bashin I am gonna give them during easter jeep safari.

I don't have pics yet, but my bro has a 99 xj... He hated his flares, they always fell off when he went wheeling, without them he got tickets... He hated the look of Extended Flares. He has an ARB Bull bar and rock sliders and custom made bumper with a tire carrier...

We got out our sawzall, cut up his fenders. He took it to Rocklogic to have them install some tubing. He's got them going next to the fender connected to the bull bar and down to his rocksliders... On the rear He just mainly added rocker panel protection for the area above what he cut... It is connected to the bumper, I'll have to show ya pictures, but don't have access to any yet, it looks good and he hasn't been bugged about them not working as flares.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
GreenYJ said:

Do not do this. The body moves seperate from the frame. If you weld something that is fixed to your frame to your sheetmetal you will have a shreaded body.

GreenYJ

bobdog said:
Do not do this. The body moves seperate from the frame. If you weld something that is fixed to your frame to your sheetmetal you will have a shreaded body.

Good Point! I guess I will have to do a little more brain storming for my Idea to work. What do you suggest?

grinch

inner city redneck
Ever think about using stock tj flares? More wheele clearance than a yj and you can put them on with wingnuts so when you go off road you just take them off.
Mettle fender exensions are a bad idea in my opnion. Mettle gets dammaged and can cause more dammage than rubber, when rubbed on rocks.

GreenYJ

:confused: Yes I have thought about TJ flares, but I wanted to do something different. If all else fails I will probably put extended TJ flares on, but theres no origionality in that now is there :confused:

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
GreenYJ said:
:confused: Yes I have thought about TJ flares, but I wanted to do something different. If all else fails I will probably put extended TJ flares on, but theres no origionality in that now is there :confused:

Like my bro's... The metal is not touching the body (which I misunderstood in you're post... I need to go back to school! :D )

His is kind of a starting on an Exo Cage, but not a full one... It is mounted to the bumper and the rock slider, the back is a little more hard to explain... If I had a digi cam I would take some pics for ya, but I don't...

Good luck!

GreenYJ

tweakeyjeep said:
He he he! Sorry, my own special recipe! :D
Yeah me too, it might help me think of a way to figure this out. It is going to look like the bottom of an exo-skeleton. Then I could always build up from there.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
GreenYJ said:
Yeah me too, it might help me think of a way to figure this out. It is going to look like the bottom of an exo-skeleton. Then I could always build up from there.

That's the same setup my bro has... But they work as fenders too! Has them coming from the front ARB Bull bar to the rock sliders, and again, back is too hard to explain.

Good luck with it.