Failed Inspection what now?

Wasatchfront

I just bought an 09 unlimited rubi with a 4" Teraflex lift and 37 Nitto mud grapplers. The big prob is that the transaction was through a freakin Honda dealership and they failed my inspection on tires too wide, tire rub, mudflaps, and a windshield chip. The chip is total BS... It's been filled and it's nowhere near the field of view. I can also probably fix the rub with a few washers added to the steering stops. They guy even said that he was way more strict than a lot of places because he is a dealership. He also said that I can get it inspected anywhere if they will pass it. This really pisses me off because the tires are just barely past the stock flares and it's not like I tried to pass some insane crawler that I didn't just buy through them! (I have one of those in the garage..OHV thanks) Now, do I really have to buy new $700 flares, silly Mudflaps and and a new windshield for my nearly new rig or do you guys think someone else will be a little more reasonable?

Wasatchfront

Yeah it was one of those deals where they gave the original owner "trade in" value for our agreed price and I turned around and bought it from them. They barely looked at it long enough to take the plates off. I'm sure there is some bull**it clause in there that says they aren't responsible for it passing inspection but I'm definately gonna b**ch up a storm. In the meantime, maybe I'll just see what Teraflex says. Thanks!

they cant sell you a car that wont pass safty and emissions by utah state law u webt through this when i bought my jeep even the same bs about the flares and mud flaps and the dealer had to pay for it

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think that if they failed you for all those things, that info is in the gov's system now, and you can't get it passed until all of those things are fixed...

Crappy deal for sure. I'd stick it to the Honduh dealership and make them deal with getting it passed.

Good luck!

mierdota

i have some mud flaps you can borrow if you need them also flares. where is the chip at?

scootrrydr

I have an 2007 Jeep and had to buy $5 mudflaps from pep boys to get mine to pass. I could barely get one screw in the flaps and they barely held on for the ride to the inspection place. The guy said it looked like crap. But legal. I told them I was taking them off as soon as he gave me the papers. It really sucks that my "buddy" doesn't work at the place I used to take my vehicles to anymore.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Yeah it was one of those deals where they gave the original owner "trade in" value for our agreed price and I turned around and bought it from them. They barely looked at it long enough to take the plates off. I'm sure there is some bull**it clause in there that says they aren't responsible for it passing inspection but I'm definately gonna b**ch up a storm. In the meantime, maybe I'll just see what Teraflex says. Thanks!

So do you work at the dealership, yet wasn't aware of the legalities? Yes, legally they need to have a vehicle street legal prior to sale, but if you bought it before they could send it through the shop for E and I you probably screwed yourself. With it being an 09, it's not due for E and I yet. And since you bought it before the selling dealer could inspect it, they may not be liable. Just talk to them about it POLITELY and they might help you out.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
As for the flaps and rubbing, I threw on some generic $20 flaps to pass and backed out the steering stops right in their parking lot at the inspection station.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah it was one of those deals where they gave the original owner "trade in" value for our agreed price and I turned around and bought it from them.

What was that about reading comprehension? :rofl:

So do you work at the dealership, yet wasn't aware of the legalities?

I got stuck on this mangled syntax and missed your intention I guess. Sorry. ;)

At any rate, I thought dealers were bound to sell cars that would pass inspection. Curious to see how this plays out. *shrug

redneckbronco

I had the same issue with a van i recently bought for the wife, i bought it for what they gave the customer in trade in value, but signed the papers b4 it went through the shop then it failed safety due to a leaking rack and pinion. They didnt want to do anything for us but becuz i worked at the dealership they "split the cost" with me ended up costing me 500$ for my half of the cost, what a joke. If nothing else try and get them to split the cost with ya, hope things work out for ya

BLH

I wouldn't wait to long, but I would tell them to fix it or inform them you are going to take it to state to challenge the inspection, I'm sure state you love hear about a car dealership doing this type of sales. Cause if they doing this, what's to stop them from sale something with bad brakes. Actually I would take it up with the Management at the dealership, with all the Toyota issues going on right now. Might take a interest in salesman do this type sales.

Sorry to disagree, but it sounds like the dealership is doing the buyer and original seller a favor to save sales tax by passing it through their books without marking it up. Any flack this seller gives the dealer may just make that deal go bad.

Pony up for some cheap temporary alterations or I like the idea of just borrowing a cheap set of stock tires and wheels to pass with.

Last edited:

kcknbck

Binders R Us
I know the guy at Emissions-Plus in Taylorsville. I take everything I own to him I know him to be fair/flexible and honest, but he isn't going to jeopardize his business for your tags. He is a Jeeper himself and he understands what you're up against.
2570 West 4700 South Taylorsville, UT 84118

This kind of info should probably be in a PM. No sense in puting a good shop in the UHP radar for no reason.

Last edited: