Failed Safety Inspection

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
tv_larsen said:
I think that's a myth. Maybe I'm wrong, but junk rolling out the door opening hardly seems like much of a safety issue. Maybe the lip is required, but IMHO it would be for another, more serious, reason like structural integrity or passenger crash protection. But if this was so, I doubt the lip itself would be explicitly required, it's functions might be.
i went with out doors for about a week or two on my cruiser (fj62) i saw tons of cops and they never pulled me over, i asked a few people about it they told me that you just have to have a mirror so i got one, dont know if that what it really is but thats what i heard. but i put the doors back on cuz it was raining

natius

Kill cookies! Make'm pay
disaster averted!

SUPERFLY said:
i went with out doors for about a week or two on my cruiser (fj62) i saw tons of cops and they never pulled me over, i asked a few people about it they told me that you just have to have a mirror so i got one, dont know if that what it really is but thats what i heard. but i put the doors back on cuz it was raining

that was smart. What a close one! if it starts raining i would recommend putting the doors back on, or keeping the jeep in the garage. Even with the doors on, make sure the windows are up. Otherwise you might get wet. The same applies for snow. If you leave the doors off or forget to put your windows up, the snow might come inside your vehicle, and when the snow melts, it is just like rain. This can come in handy with winter approaching. Even though life gets busy, don't forget the important stuff.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
my4thjeep said:
The image does make it look like my tires stick way out. they don't I measured and they stick out 2.5 inches at the sidewall bulge.

I have one concern I want to make known. In the new IM/INS handbook they sent out for 2004 they modified the rule. Last year it said that the tread can no stick out past the fender, so you could get away with the sidewall bulge and stuf, but this year they have it saying not one bit of the tire is allowed to stick out of the fender! Just for everyones information. If you don't believe me go to any IM/INS station and ask them to show you the book on tires! The place I worked at got in trouble for passing an undercover vehicle that the tires stuck out too far!

leorn

reset
I'm sure that you guys are just like me. I get pulled over just cuz my rig stands out from the rest of the vehicles on the road, but it seems like each officer has his own set of rules! I was pulled over without doors (85 4runner) twice. One guy was alright as long as I put a drivers side mirror, the other guy said something about only jeeps could??? where is the state guidlines so I can find the truth and be informed one way or the other the next time I get pulled over?

utahxjer

leorn said:
I'm sure that you guys are just like me. I get pulled over just cuz my rig stands out from the rest of the vehicles on the road, but it seems like each officer has his own set of rules! I was pulled over without doors (85 4runner) twice. One guy was alright as long as I put a drivers side mirror, the other guy said something about only jeeps could??? where is the state guidlines so I can find the truth and be informed one way or the other the next time I get pulled over?
I have a Utah State Code Book and I've looked for the "doorless topic" and never found anything. BTW- It's been disputed on here time and time again.

Bone Down

Hickey said:
:rofl: :rofl:
I'm gonna try that with fender flares and duct tape... maybe paint them black for the bling factor... :rofl:

LOL I actually passed a toyota pick up and a zj that had that done on both of them...

Toyota truck and the rear done and the jeep had both front and rear done.

They were not together at the same time and I passed them on bangerter highway around a month ago...

Was funny as can be and I knew exactly why it was done.

PEELBOY

V-8 4X4 PINTO LIVINS
screw utah and its safety laws i they srewed me on my 84 cj7 so i went to the vermont dmv web site and registered it there. you dont have to live there or even go. just copy the pages and do what it says than you dont have to have a lame utah plate. its been two years for me and no probs. it may be different with a newer car i do not know. they dont care what you do with your car and you can register for two years at a time and no safety inspec/ imissions test. i just send 84 dollars for two years.

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Here's my understanding:

Doors/Mirrors:
Vehicles that were produced with the intent of having user-removable doors are legal. However, a side mirror on the driver's side is required (mirror relocation brackets).http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=14458&highlight=mirror

First time I removed the doors on my YJ, I was pulled over by an SLC officer. The officer was nice (no ticket or harassment) and just told me I needed to mount some kind of mirror on the driver's side.

Flares/Flaps:
According to Utah code, if the track width of a vehicle is increased, then the fender or fender flare must cover the full width of the tire. I took the definition of track extension to include wider axles, wider wheels, offset wheels, wider tires, etc. It appears that if you run stock width track, the tires can extend beyond the flare/fender, but only to the degree that it was originally from the factory. So, if your stock vehicle's tires stuck out slightly, then that was okay, but if you modify the track width, then you must completely cover the tires.

From House Bill 49 "Vehicle Suspension Lift Laws" State of Utah:
"2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition."

Mud flaps must cover the full width of the tire and at least 50% (radius) of the tire's height.

From HB49:
"(b) The wheel covers, mudguards, flaps, or splash aprons shall:
(i) be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting;
(ii) be directly in line with the tires; and
(iii) have a ground clearance of not more than 50% of the diameter of a rear-axle wheel, under any
conditions of loading of the motor vehicle.
(3) Wheel covers, mudguards, flaps, or splash aprons are not required if the motor vehicle, trailer,
or semitrailer is designed and constructed so that the requirements of Subsection (1) are accomplished by
means of fenders, body construction, or other means of enclosure."

I currently run extended flares on my YJ, but with the full-width axles, my tires still protrude about 3.5 inches. I bought a pair of removable mudflaps and fit them to cover the full width of the tire. Technically, I need to extend the flares, but I have not been pulled over for them yet. I've heard repeatedly from Jeepers that if you do the mudflaps with good coverage, the cops let the flares slide (I think they are just unaware of the technical requirements for flares and just focus on the flaps -- cops can't read and memorize every letter of Utah code, they remember key parts only).

As far as inspection goes, I wouldn't know anything about that, I just steal a new plate off somebody's car every year. J/K

If I were in your situation, I'd make the dealer provide you with a legal vehicle. However, you don't want them to do something too cheesy that you get stuck with. See if they'll spring for a set of these:
for mild tire sizes: http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=8562

for wider/taller tires (I have these for my 35x12.5 tires and they fit just right - the sales rep tried to convince me that a Jeep didn't need flaps that big, but I'm glad I didn't listen)http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=8563

hope this helps - good luck

jpotts@cephalon.com

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Brad J said:
Great, Now when my Scout fails safety I can't go down the street and take my pick as to which shop requires the least amount of effort/money to get it to pass. Oh the good ol' days before all of these computers where tied into everything.

-Brad J.

You can actually take it too what ever shop you want to do the repairs to get it too pass, but you need to take it back to the shop that failed you and they will get make sure the repairs got done. and get you the passing certificate

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Took mine to a national chain yesterday :rolleyes: REJECTED! Said I need an E-brake, front mudflaps, new windshield, and exhaust??? I have exhaust, dual exhaust :D on a YJ. Windshield is cracked but they passed it last year. Never heard about the E-brake thing, or the front mudflap thing. Luckily the guy behind the counter just rejected for the windshield. Warned me about the front mudflaps. The guy that came in yelling "reject, reject, reject" was a freaking jerk. I almost feel like talking to his manager. He came in and told him what to reject me on and walked out. He said since I have an auto it doesn't matter if I have an e-brake.

Note to all getting inspection, don't go at the end of the day before they close :mad2: . Now I have to fix the windshield before I can get it inspected.