Northern Utah Fall Quarterly Training Day + Service Project up AF Canyon: September 28-29th 2012

sixstringsteve

I wanted to go to this fall meeting, but AF canyon is a big turn off. I really enjoyed Millers .

There weren't any opportunities for land-use service projects at Miller, so we decided to introduce the concept of giving back to the land managers through service. By having the training day on Forest Service land, we were able to keep the event free. It also made it really easy to plan since there aren't any restrictions on number of people, no permits to fill out, no insurance fees, etc. Don't worry, we still love the guys out at Miller, we just wanted to change it up a bit, and we know that AF Canyon could use some help cleaning up, and the people that recreate there could use some education on the responsible way to recreate there.

If you don't like AF Canyon, you can head to 5 mile pass with the rest of the RME crew and help them clean that area up, they could use your help.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I wanted to go to this fall meeting, but AF canyon is a big turn off. I really enjoyed Millers .

Just out of curiosity, what is the turn off to AF? Distance? Setting? Difficulty of getting there?
We're constantly trying to improve the QTD's and we had a lot of people express interest in doing a training day in the field, thus the decision to do it in AF.

sixstringsteve

It can definitely get crowded up there, especially on weekends and holidays. I've been up there about 20 times this year (avoiding holidays) and it's been a lot better than years past. The ATV guys that I've come across have all been pretty courteous and they wave to me and go slow. Last year was an entirely different story. I'm glad to see some of them coning around and being respectful. But I don't blame ya. 5mp might be a better fit for you this year's NPLD, they could sure use your help and it'll be a lot less crowded.

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Feedback on date and location

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ModStock
The overcrowding . Too many ATV's , driving way too fast . They need to do something about that before someone gets killed.

I was thinking the same thing about the congestion, especially this time of year up AFC... (for me or others of simular situations) parking a dually with a trailer on a Saturday at Tibble Frk could be impossible/and very stressful even getting there with the road bikers on the way up. Im usually one to make every effort to attend the RME Training days and recruit new people to come with, but its NPLD so most would consider this an already recognized event by many who enjoy UT back country and who may be wantting to attend misc 4x4 Clubs that will be out to do cleanup. Kinda like having OSRC on mothersday, doesn't help with attendance.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

...but its NPLD so most would consider this an already recognized event by many who enjoy UT back country and who may be wantting to attend misc 4x4 Clubs that will be out to do cleanup.

I wish that most people were aware of NPLD. It's surprising how few people know what it is, and how even fewer people attend. Hopefully we can get more people out to NPLD by combining it with the quarterly training day. If nothing more, it bring awareness to NPLD

We are open to suggestions for future service projects at future training days. I used to think that the BLM and FS had a laundry list of projects that needed to be completed and I could just call them up, tell them I have volunteers, and they'd point me in the right direction. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, and despite our numbers and willingness to help, it takes a lot of planning and even convincing to get something coordinated. We felt that our training days were all talk and no action on the land use front, so we decided to pair it up with a service project/land use focus this time. Kurt, part of the QTD planning team, has been working with the FS for years trying to get some more significant fencing up at graveyard flats, and it's finally coming to fruition. We're excited to be part of it this year.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
There's a big need for help at the RME 5MP cleanup: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?92335-NPLD-at-5-Mile-Pass

Thanks for the reference, but I already have a club function planned to do a specific cleanup for NPLD with the Bush Eaters.

I just wanted to explain my feedback on my objective to attend this particular portion of the RME Training day which I thought was not a part of the NPLD: "Come learn about the best places to wheel in Utah, how to drive your 4x4 off road, how to prepare and plan for a trip, how to recover stuck rigs, and much more. Most importantly, you'll get to meet some of our local 4x4 veterans and meet new friends to go wheeling with. You will gain practice driving your rig over a variety of obstacles with experienced wheelers standing by to offer advice."

No doubt this will be beneficial for all aspects including the land use front and also letting the FS know that RME can perform such tasks with confidence, I have a hunch that some attendees will even learn how to use a post-hole-digger... hahaha

Good work, good planning and I’m sure I speak for all when I say that I can't wait for the Trip Report you guys!!!
:thumbs:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

you're one of the QTD's strongest supporters, thanks for all you do Ryan.

Fortunately we won't have to dig holes for this fence. It's an above-ground fence so we don't disturb the grave site with digging into potentially shallow graves. It's a pretty cool fence we'll be building.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
FWIW, this upcoming training event coinciding with NPLD plays right into the underlying force/motivation being the training day events - Land Use and proper trail etiquette. This event will add to the previous events and give hands-on experience beyond what can be had at MMP. We do Tread Lightly classes, land stewardship trainings, so why not incorporate a service project at least once a year to allow a hands-on 'this-is-how-to-get-involved' type direction for attendees.

I believe that this is what the training day events are all about, learning to use your vehicle in a proper manner; this upcoming event will demonstrate the impact that land users have on the land, get to know land managers by working side by side with them, and accessing a beautiful canyon that you can engage 4WD and find some fun dirt trails to enjoy after the service project.