Central Utah Family trip into the swell

Tonkaman

I want to get the girls out for a scenic drive into the swell this weekend. I have never explored that area before so I need some input on what to see. I plan to pull along a tiny pop up tent trailer since we have the tiny one with us. I really want to know where not to go. Most of the pictures I see are excellent roads for easy travel but I know there are river crossings and rocky sections down there too. Any input is appreciated.

sixstringsteve

Do you have a benchmark atlas? Also, check some of my trip report threads from the swell, along with my trip planning threads, I have links to maps and stuff.

Tonkaman

Do you have a benchmark atlas? Also, check some of my trip report threads from the swell, along with my trip planning threads, I have links to maps and stuff.

I do have the atlas, its been great to look at everything in detail. I have also read all of your trip reports almost everything looks doable except some photos of crossing a small river. My bigger concern is for the trailer ill be dragging along

sixstringsteve

you really have to be looking for the river to run into it. It was WAY south and west of all the other good stuff in the swell.

WHat trailer are you taking? Dirt bike or a camp trailer?

Tonkaman

you really have to be looking for the river to run into it. It was WAY south and west of all the other good stuff in the swell.

WHat trailer are you taking? Dirt bike or a camp trailer?

Ok that's good to know. The trailer is a pop up camp trailer. It's pretty light and small but not a ton of clearance

Tonkaman

In the truck mostly. I'm using this trip to show my girlfriend how many cool things there are so close to home. It's a smooth transition into a different style of camping for her

sixstringsteve

in that case, I recommend driving to castle dale, the headint east to the wedge overlook for camp the first night. Then travel down to buckhorn wash and check out the old swinging bridge. Then you can go all over from there: Goblin valley, swasey cabin, tons of places. A lot of those roads south of I-70 are going to be tough on a pop-up trailer. Everything is a dirt road and some are bumper and tighter than others. I wouldn't want to haul a trailer into the copper globe mine area.

The Benchmark Atlas does a great job of highlighting a lot of the great features in the area.

One of my favorite loops is the reds canyon area and the mines down there.

sixstringsteve

I can't remember, I'll have to check my blog to see when it was.

EDIT: Here's that trip in Feb:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?88620-San-Rafael-Swell-Feb-9-12th-TRIP-REPORT

You won't be able to do jackass benches in your truck (even without a trailer). But you should be good for the rest of that route. It should be a fun trip.

I'd also make the effort to go down towards Goblin Valley and hike Little Wildhorse Canyon. You can get a map of the canyon from the Goblin Valley Ranger, or you could just find info online. It's a really fun hike, even for people who don't like hiking.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

The adventure begins tomorrow morning! I decided tot take the girls on the 150 Mile long Buffet of the Swell A.K.A the Discovery Route. Wish me luck