Far North Wheeling

JPTHING

I am going to be in the U- state, around Memorial weekend, is there somewhere around Logan that is fun to wheel? My parents live in Hyrum, so we want to hit up some local areas that will be fun, and legal. I want some hard stuff, not a drive down a dirt road, some people think that is wheeling, it's not. Although I am not up for a high fall of an edge and die trip either. When we were younger, we used to go over the dirt road over from behind Ogden, to Paradise. There were some trails we used to go to off the main dirt road. Not even sure if it is legal. Anyway if someone is up for a wheeling trip around Logan, let me know.

icebreaker

91wrangler
hey whats up? i live in Hyrum as well. i have some friends that now some good places up Providence Canyon, Blacksmith, Green Canyon and some other places. I know that up Providence there is the rock cory with what they call the "mini rubicon". i can get more info if you would like and will be willing to go with. just let me know exactly what day or days you would be going. By the way my name is Jason.

JPTHING

That would be fun. Just to make it clear, I don't live, nor do I intend to move back to Utah, but with all of my family living there, I visit pretty often, so I want to find places to wheel when I go and visit them. I am going to be down memorial, so I want to bring my YJ. I wheel pretty much every weekend up here, so I have to keep up on my addiction, otherwise I will have no fun while there. Plus my Bro-in-law has never really wheeled, so I want to show him a good time.
BTW I am trying to talk the fam. into camping up left hand fork, over memorial, so I will be right in the area for all the wheeling.

Anyway I will PM you my number when it gets closer, so we can keep in touch, and start planning. As a matter of fact I will Pm you my info right now, incase this thread gets lost.

bradm

shameless posing...
Small world, I was born and raised in Hyrum. Prov canyon is probably your best bet. I ran it last nov with some friends and it had 6" of fresh snow. Good times :D

JPTHING

So if someone is interested, I will be up for wheeling around Richfield while down visiting my In-laws. This will be Thursday, and Friday later in the week.

DTaylor20

i have been up providence a couple times now and it seems to get funner everytime me and a couple of my buddies went up last weekend with the new snow we didn't make it all the way over let me know when you guys go we are trying to plan a trip over that weekend and i would like to know some of the other trails up there

thanks,
dan

JPTHING

I plan on wheeling early Sat the 26th, and early Sunday the 27th. Hope this works with everyone else's plans. Early would be like between 7am and 8am. Now I hate to be a dick, but lets make sure the people that are coming have capable rigs, I am only available to wheel for 2 days, so I don't want to spend a day fixing someones stock rig. On the other hand, I am more than happy to help out my fellow wheelers. If we are in capable rigs, and someone breaks, I will be more than happy to spend the day making sure whoever breaks, makes it home safely. One last thing, lets make sure everyone has their own essentials, for example, I will not have the tools to fix someones Birfield(not so often does a Jeep have a Toy. axle). I have winch, all my tools, Hilift, tow straps, d-rings, extinguisher, extra shafts, u-joints, RTV, JBweld, tie wire, first aid kit, etc. I am not trying to sound bossy, but I am sure everyone knows the frustration of not having the right equipment. I look forward to wheeling with everyone that shows.

logansportage

Prov is really the best place to go, but Millville is also a nice canyon to hit. All of these meet up at Mt. Logan and make for a nice half to full day run depending on how may you want to do.

Prov is the hardest trail we have in the Logan area, but with a capable rig it is just a blast to run. You'll need lockers and at least 35" tires for Prov, but Millville only requires 31" tires and a Limited Slip if you don't pick a good line.

Logansportage

youngjeeper

Ride the Woody
Can someone PM me some directions to Prov Canyon from Maceys in Logan? I went up there once before and would like to check it out again, but I was following some fellow Jeepers last time.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Are you kidding me? Unless you take some really hard detours in the quarry or the snow is too deep, providence is easily done in a stock four wheel drive vehicle.

Ditto, I've seen anything from a stock Samurai to my old Subaru go up.... That being said Providence can be as hard as you make it ;)

I'd be up for wheelin' on Saturday morning if that's alright :)

logansportage

Last time I was up Prov (last year) there were a number of "Boulders" pulled onto the trail which made it impossible for a stock vehicle to run this trail from top or bottom. They were put there for the hard core wheelers to have more fun. Unless someone has removed these "Boulders" I would not attempt Prov with a stock 4x4.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Millville Canyon? This one can be done in a stock 4x4 because it has bypasses for most of the obstacles which are minor to begin with.

Prov starts at the rock quarry and ends at the upper rodeo grounds just below the warming hut on the back side of Mt. Logan.

Logansportage

soybean

I might be interested in heading up that way if you can give me some details I will try to make it up there

JPTHING

I don't know what it is called, but the one I am considering is the one that comes over from Huntsville, over to Avon. I want to try some trails I went up when I was younger, if anyone knows anything about that or somewhere that is on that road, let me know. BTW I have never been on Providence canyon, so I am interested in that also.

logansportage

The road you are referring to is called the Avon Liberty road and it’s just a dirt road traveled by lots of people. Not really a wheeling trail at all, but it does lead to some nice trails.

Just after it leaves Liberty and reaches the top, you start down the other side and will come to an area where they have log fences put up. Near the end of the fences, there is a turn off to the west that goes up into the hills. Take this trail. It winds back up into the hills and is a nice ride. It ends up going past Willard peak and ends up coming out in Mantua.

Nice ride, but not real difficult except for right at the beginning as you get off the Avon Liberty road. When it rains or in the spring time there can be a couple of mud holes going up into the hills that are fun and can get a little deep.

Logansportage