Farrier Rasp knife

muleskinner

Just making this one for fun. I'll carry it on the job every day and see how it holds up.

This started life as a Simonds 14 Inch Black Master Rasp. I annealed it, then cut most of the knife shape on my band saw.

Ground the profile-
IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

Mark the center line for the edge-
IMAG0331.jpg

Flat grind @ 120 grit-
IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Now I'll go drill the pin holes and heat treat it. Then back to the grinder for some finish grinding.

muleskinner

Well, I just found the MSDS for these rasps.. Not going to work. Apparently, they are case hardened. (only .32-.38% carbon)

Thanks for the comments.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Still good enough to go "prison shank" style. lol

I have always loved your knife projects :cool: I love metal fab more than any other kind of fabricating hobby. I made a few knifes when I was younger (as well as bow and arrows) and thought they turned out pretty good, Now I know the difference. :D I would love to have a go at it again sometime in my adult life.

muleskinner

Is it much work to finish it out for a display?

I guess I could make a letter opener out of it:confused: Maybe I'll throw a piece of wood on it anyway.

Still good enough to go "prison shank" style. lol

I have always loved your knife projects :cool: I love metal fab more than any other kind of fabricating hobby. I made a few knifes when I was younger (as well as bow and arrows) and thought they turned out pretty good, Now I know the difference. :D I would love to have a go at it again sometime in my adult life.

Thanks Tracy. When I move south this summer you can come have a beer and do some grinding:cool: