faster internet questions

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i cant do this damned dial up thing anymore. i need something faster. i am also looking to get rid of my home phone.

what is out there that does not require a phone line?
how much should i expect to pay?
what is available in tooele?

the only conection i am familiar with is dial-up, so any advise will be helpfull.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
go cable if you can.

Call up comcast and they will check availibility for you. You will pay about 50$ a month after taxes but the speeds are blazing!!!

Dsl is considerably slower but requires a phone line. You might have access to some kind of wireless but it might cost you some initial equipment to buy.

I have no idea what is available in Tooele... But if comcast is I highly recommend it. They just upgraded about a month ago to 4Mb/s.....REAL FAST This is a cable connection, with tax about $54/month...For an extra $10 you can get 6Mb/s.....Not necessary though. To be honest though, Comcast's customer service is poor, and that's being nice. I've got some horror stories about them, but the connection rules and nobody can beat them right now...So i still got em

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
We have Dsl through qwest, so this may not work if you want to get rid of your phone line all together. It is fairly fast (Much faster than dial up), and way cheaper than cable. If we weren't trying to cut down on bills we would probably get cable.

Jeremy

we are spending $50-$70 a month on home phone service, plus two cell phones, so we figure we can drop the home phone, and just use the cells for everything, the money we save on the phone bills we should be able to afford a decent hi-speed conection. we just dont know where to look.

comcast website wont give me prices on service for non cable TV subscribers.

what about satelite? does it need a phone line?

JoeT

QWEST DSL
$32 for 256 kbps
$45 for 1.5 kbps
That's with out a current Qwest home phone package.
$60 router
I'm doing this myself soooon.

Jeremy

where are you getting this info, everytime i ask the qwest costomer service people about a data line they tell me they dont have such a thing. they tell me i have to have home phone service or no service.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
I work for qwest, and in some locations it is possible to do DSL without a phone line. here is the price without a phone line. this is for basic internet, so no email addresses, or virus protection, or parental controls. if you need any of those add $7 to the monthly price

right now, no activation fee
1.5 mpbs/896k speed
rental of modem $5 or purchase for $60
$43 per month after taxes I think it is right about $49

PM me your number and I will check availability, or email me at
broenne@qwest.com

olywrestle

Duct Tape
EKSJAE said:
where are you getting this info, everytime i ask the qwest costomer service people about a data line they tell me they dont have such a thing. they tell me i have to have home phone service or no service.

Data line is also just a basic phone line........11.03 a month plus taxes = about $23 for your home phone....

Meat_

Banned
qwest dsl is cheaper and has a faster upload. Web pages are a tad faster on dsl (the initial dns lookup). Comcast's technology is rock solid (despite the recent evening DNS problems, without dns you have to have the actual numerical ip of a web site to get anywhere), but the company is a MAJOR PIA to deal with. I recently got banned from Comcast for using more than unlimited bandwidth (riddle me that)

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
EKSJAE said:
we are spending $50-$70 a month on home phone service, plus two cell phones, so we figure we can drop the home phone, and just use the cells for everything, the money we save on the phone bills we should be able to afford a decent hi-speed conection. we just dont know where to look.

comcast website wont give me prices on service for non cable TV subscribers.

what about satelite? does it need a phone line?

Satellite doesn't require a phone line but your looking at $600-700 for equipment but once you have it you can take it anywhere you go... to include the campground up in the mountains, moab, etc... and the service is about $50 a month as well... it is slower then cable but about the same speed as dsl.

I have adelphia cable but seeing I have directv for my tv I only got the internet thru adelphia so its $26 for the first 6 months then goes up to $52 a month.

Jeremy

i just got off the phone with comcast, they want $52 a month without cable TV and $42 a month with cable TV, and they have what they call a limited basic cable TV package that includes all the local chanels + cnn and a few others for about $12 a month. i think that is what i am going to do, hi-speed conection and i can watch local tv with out playing with the antenna just to get a bad picture, reception sucks on this side of the mountain.

Caleb

IMO, skip cable if DSL is available. My issue withcable right now is they don't garantee their speeds so 9 out of 10 times if you are having issues with speed (like its slower than dial-up) you call up and their response is, "we dont garantee our speed". Meaning, its not my problem our service sucks. I have the gold tier 6mb down and 768K upload. However I have never gotten faster than the standard package download (infact most the time my download is between 1.5mb and 2mb) and not till I called and complained for the hundredth time yesterday have I had a faster upload. Now I am floating around 690K upload, with the TCP overhead thats acceptable but my download is still only around 2mb. Cable is greatly affect by teh number of users on the same node, so like in my area, if its the only highspeed option you get serious congestion. A couple services to look into are www.speakeasy.net for good DSL service, even if their online test shows its not available, call them up and talk to them cause sometimes its stil available. The other is www.thebluezone.com its satellite service. $50 setup fee and you can rent the equipment for like $4/month. Its super cheap too. If I could I would drop comcast like a bad habbit, but for right now its my only option. BTW, speakeasy has a service for $6 more a month that you don't need a phone line, I think its called onelink.

olywrestle - can you give me a time frame on when qwest is going to install a dslam in their co out in magna? I was told late summer, dont know if its true though. Thats my only hold up from getting DSL. Thanks

olywrestle

Duct Tape
[/QOUTE] olywrestle - can you give me a time frame on when qwest is going to install a d-slam in their co out in magna? I was told late summer, dont know if its true though. Thats my only hold up from getting DSL. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I need an address or phone number nd I can check...pm or email me

Meat_

Banned
Supergper like I said Comcast has crappy managment. Now that you have proved that your line will do the 2Mb I'd call and cut it back to the normal... unless the ul is that important to you.

I was lucky when I had the "gold" Comcast because I'm the only person on a fiber fed node. I ALWAYS got 4+/384 (that was the gold speed at the time, and I often hit almost 5Mb).

Oh, and the blue zone is WiFi not sat, you can get 1Mb/1Mb they are suposedly "unlimited" and if you tell them you got a flier on your door you'll get free install.

Meat_

Banned
olywrestle said:
I need an address or phone number nd I can check...pm or email me

Could you get a date on when they are going to finish the DSLAM right up the road from me? I'm over 18k ft now and I change gauge several times... add to that my aerial line is crap and the wind/rain/temp kill me....

I already know where it's going (320 yards from me :greg: ), they have brand new 600 pair ran already (last year) I just haven't gotten anyone to tell me when.