faster internet questions

Caleb

EKSJAE said:
bluezone has so few locations in SLC it will take years to get it out in tooele, i check bluezone availability every week.

actually bluezone is available in almost all parts of SL. I am on the boarder of it.

and Meat_Popsicle, I mostly want the gold package for the upload but the download was an added benefit. Before they upgraded the packages a few weeks ago I could get the full bandwidth 99% of the time, now I can't get crap...infact I just bought a new modem hoping it would help (my old one was WAY old), but it didn't. The only other thing I can think of right now is my router might be unable to handle it (theoretically I know it should) its just an el cheapo Netgear POS. I'm putting a Cisco Pix in tomorrow and taking my router out so we'll see if that helps any.

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:
actually bluezone is available in almost all parts of SL. I am on the boarder of it.

and Meat_Popsicle, I mostly want the gold package for the upload but the download was an added benefit. Before they upgraded the packages a few weeks ago I could get the full bandwidth 99% of the time, now I can't get crap...infact I just bought a new modem hoping it would help (my old one was WAY old), but it didn't. The only other thing I can think of right now is my router might be unable to handle it (theoretically I know it should) its just an el cheapo Netgear POS. I'm putting a Cisco Pix in tomorrow and taking my router out so we'll see if that helps any.

Just curious as to what site you are trying for a test?

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
Oh, and the blue zone is WiFi not sat, you can get 1Mb/1Mb they are suposedly "unlimited" and if you tell them you got a flier on your door you'll get free install.

I guess thats true, I know the technologies are different, I was just thinking sat cause it has a little sat. type receiver that goes on the house. :D

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
Just curious as to what site you are trying for a test?

honestly, all of them :D

www.sisna.com
www.testmy.com
www.dslreports.com
uh, thats all I can think of off the top of my head...I think there's another called castle cops or something to that effect. I have tried FTP tests, Java Tests, Http tests...they all come back the same, that my DL speed sucks :p

oh yeah, I am also using Netpersec on my windows machine...that is said to be prolly the most accurate measure of tranfer next the an FTP test...

Meat_

Banned
Cool. Another good test is a late night dl from Micro$oft.... you have to use a dl manager to get an accurate reading though.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
my mother in law is in the middle of south jordan and cant get bluezone, it is not available at my parents in west jordan, my brothers cant get it in west valley. it is all based on how close you are to the house with the little ball antanna looking thing in your neighborhood, and if there is one, i hope there arnt any trees in the way.

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Meat_Popsickle said:
Could you get a date on when they are going to finish the DSLAM right up the road from me? I'm over 18k ft now and I change gauge several times... add to that my aerial line is crap and the wind/rain/temp kill me....

I already know where it's going (320 yards from me :greg: ), they have brand new 600 pair ran already (last year) I just haven't gotten anyone to tell me when.

get me a TN or address ( Tn preferred)

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
They have just begun laying the sleave for the fiber optic lines in my neighborhood for the Utopia project. If you're unfamiliar with it you should check this out!

http://www.utopianet.org/

"The UTOPIA network will provide, minimally, a 100 Mbps connection to every home and a 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) connection to every business taking service. Greater bandwidth is available, and as technology progresses, the UTOPIA network will upgrade components and scale to deliver even faster speeds than listed here."

Here is their comparison programs showing different speeds in action, the speed is unbelievable!
http://www.mxi.nl/upload/FiberSpdEnglish.exe

It can also do like 10 oter types of communication and entertainment through the same line. I'm guessing this will blow comcast out of the water.....

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
BioNuke1 said:
They have just begun laying the sleve for the fiber optic lines in my neighborhood for the Utopia project. If you're unfamiliar with it you should check this out!

http://www.utopianet.org/

"The UTOPIA network will provide, minimally, a 100 Mbps connection to every home and a 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) connection to every business taking service. Greater bandwidth is available, and as technology progresses, the UTOPIA network will upgrade components and scale to deliver even faster speeds than listed here."

Yes I have heard of that, and even though I don't know you.... I now hate you ;)

olywrestle

Duct Tape
Meat_Popsickle said:
Yes I have heard of that, and even though I don't know you.... I now hate you ;)

Utopia is going to cost the tyaxpayers of the cities that lay it lots of money over the next 10 years...in the end it is not really that great of a deal for us, since royalties are paid to the company laying it for the next 25-30 years ( my dates and numbers may be off alittle bit, it has been a while since I read up on it)

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:

dont be too jealous, they have been "laying lines" for UTOPIA for years...I bet its gonna be 5-10 years more before they are functional. By that time there will be other options. I think UTOPIA is a good thing, having choices is a good thing, right now most people are limited to one maybe two braodband services, the more that are available the more competitive the other companies will ahve to be on their services.

Meat_

Banned
There already was a 100Mb isp.... they went under. It was called AirSwitch, it was basically a city wide LAN in American Fork... the city took it over and and named it AFConnect, they offer 4Mb/2Mb for around $29 a month now... They do some funny stuff with the packets though (only matters if you are trying to shoot somebody playing on that connection)

Verizon is pushing 30Mb/5Mb fiber to the curb DSL in a few markets..... I'm not holding my breath on that :rolleyes:

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
There already was a 100Mb isp.... they went under. It was called AirSwitch, it was basically a city wide LAN in American Fork... the city took it over and and named it AFConnect, they offer 4Mb/2Mb for around $29 a month now... They do some funny stuff with the packets though (only matters if you are trying to shoot somebody playing on that connection)

Verizon is pushing 30Mb/5Mb fiber to the curb DSL in a few markets..... I'm not holding my breath on that :rolleyes:

30/5 for two bills :eek: it woudl be awesome to have 5mb upload IF you could host off it (meanign your ToS allowed it) :greg:

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:
30/5 for two bills :eek: it woudl be awesome to have 5mb upload IF you could host off it (meanign your ToS allowed it) :greg:
:greg:

Ya, did you see the 15/2 price though? That would be sweet enough :D

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
:greg:

Ya, did you see the 15/2 price though? That would be sweet enough :D

heck yeah, even the 5/2 (but for $10 more why not get three times more download :D)...I overlooked those the first time, I have a tendency to look at the biggest, fastest and nothing more :rofl:

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
Supergper said:
dont be too jealous, they have been "laying lines" for UTOPIA for years...I bet its gonna be 5-10 years more before they are functional.QUOTE]

"Construction has begun in the City of Orem................. Services are expected to be available beginning some time in the first half of 2005."

This would also explain the rediculously increased ammount of Qwest and others pestering us to hurry up and sign up with them..... Even got one of those doorknob hanger flyers the other week from utopia letting us know its coming soon....

Last edited:

Caleb

BioNuke1 said:
Supergper said:
dont be too jealous, they have been "laying lines" for UTOPIA for years...I bet its gonna be 5-10 years more before they are functional.QUOTE]

"Construction has begun in the City of Orem................. Services are expected to be available beginning some time in the first half of 2005."

This would also explain the rediculously increased ammount of Qwest and others pestering us to hurry up and sign up with them..... Even got one of those doorknob hanger flyers the other week from utopia letting us know its coming soon....

I'll believe it when I see it :D and then I may consider moving there...ok not really, couldn't bring myself to move to happy valley :D