Fat biking

cackalak

The trend is in full effect, so decided to jump on the wagon. Bought a fat bike recently and am planning on some bikepacking adventures. Thinking west desert somewhere. Anyone here know of any good routes for either a quick overnighter or weekend trip?

sixstringsteve

Congrats. Which bike did you get?

I'd be down for a day ride if you're ever looking for a riding partner.

Pony express could be fun, or maybe the trail aroud the salt lake passing through lucin and following the transcontinental railroad. You could even have a support vehicle out there if you wanted it (though that's cheating in the bikepacking world).

We're planning a white rim trail trip for next month, but I'm definitely not riding my fatbike for that one, and we are cheating with support vehicles. 110 miles in 4 days.

AF canyon and the uintas have some fantastic snow routes. You could do the alpine loop, or go from tibble fork to forest lake then over pole line pass down into midway.

cackalak

Got a Pugsley. Really wanted to get a 5" bike, like the Blackborrow, Ice Cream Truck, but couldn't justify the extra cost. I also like all of the braze ons on the Pug, but I guess with all the soft packs available, it's not a huge issue.

I've been an avid mountain biker over the last 10 yrs, but haven't bikepacked, so this will be my intro into that realm. I think the route over AF canyon to Midway might be a great ride. Maybe even camp by the Cascade Springs campground area (if passable). Breakfast/Lunch in Midway, then head back.

I've also got the White Rim trail on the To-Do list this year. Probably in a day, though, due to time constraints (kids, wife, work).

I will post up when I am able to get out.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I've seen a couple fat bikes out on Antelope Island the last three weekends, they seem to do real well on the packed snow.
Lots of camping options out there as well.
Just a thought.

sixstringsteve

Got a Pugsley. Really wanted to get a 5" bike, like the Blackborrow, Ice Cream Truck, but couldn't justify the extra cost. I also like all of the braze ons on the Pug, but I guess with all the soft packs available, it's not a huge issue.

Pugsleys rock. I've heard nothing but great things about them.

I've also got the White Rim trail on the To-Do list this year. Probably in a day, though, due to time constraints (kids, wife, work).

I will post up when I am able to get out.

HOLY CRAP! If you can ride the white rim trail in a day, you're not going to want to ride with me. I'm a weekend warrior. I've got good bike handling skills, but my aerobics are nowhere near 110 mile dirt days.

cackalak

HOLY CRAP! If you can ride the white rim trail in a day, you're not going to want to ride with me. I'm a weekend warrior. I've got good bike handling skills, but my aerobics are nowhere near 110 mile dirt days.

I get out once a week during the season. 100 miles isn't bad. Start at 4AM or so, putt along at 8-10mph, done in the afternoon and arrive at the car full of cold beverages and food. Thinking of taking the fattie for some of those sandy sections. But will most likely take the 29er.