Favorite cordless drills, impact and generator

ID Bronco

With the theft of my truck, we lost a bunch of tools with it. I am going to replace them and have a few questions for you handy guys.

1. I had some Dewalt 20V and 12V drills taken. Should I look at something else, or are they the good stuff? I liked them fine.

2. I had some 12v Milwaukee drills taken too. They were a little underpowered, but light. I think I'll go bigger if I go the Milwaukee route.

3. What impact's do you guys like? I thought it was Milwaukee all the way, but I spotted a Harbor Freight one in one of Corey's posts about his 4 Runner. Do they hold up? Are they any good?

4. I also lost a 4500 watt generator, I am looking at an inverter this time for the noise reduction, I have read the Predator ones are awesome, but I am also looking at the Westinghouse brand. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'm a fan of my Milwaukee M18 things.

This might sway a decision on a generator?
hobo20-png.633897

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have m12 and M18 stuff and the 18 is a massive upgrade over the 12.

I’ve also had a Firman generator for 4 years now and it’s been a champ. It’s only 3600 watts though. There aren’t too many inverter style generators above the 4k watt mark for some reason.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
If you are an electrician, I think you are pretty much obligated to go Milwaukee. Otherwise, all your Sparky buddies will make fun of you.

But if you have the freedom of thinking for yourself, I like dewalt.

But in reality, I am sure they all make a good tool.

I’ve had a handful of champion brand generators. They have always been reliable and sufficient. They are not anything special though, and are definitely not the quietest. I’ve seen quite a few of the predator brand generators that are very quiet and sufficient. My tax bracket doesn’t allow me to buy anything fancy though.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools. Love them all. Since I started down the M path I've stayed due to batteries. I'm sure Dewalt is good too. My dad likes his Porter Cable stuff. I've liked Makita tools I've had too, but opted for uniform batteries and stuck with Milwaukee.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've been real happy with my Dewalt stuff. There's been a couple jobs that my compact impact wouldn't tackle, but they make a bigger one I've been looking at that makes about the same numbers as the Milwaukee big boy.

How is that Predator generator, anybody have one? I know what HF claims, but how are the real noise levels?

Tonkaman

20V Dewalt or 18V Milwaukee are the best choices. Both offer a tool for any job and are equally as good. Dewalt batteries are cheaper than the Milwaukee but you will never have a Milwaukee battery go bad.

I have had hundreds of tools in both brands. Can’t go wrong either way.

Pike2350

20V Dewalt or 18V Milwaukee are the best choices. Both offer a tool for any job and are equally as good. Dewalt batteries are cheaper than the Milwaukee but you will never have a Milwaukee battery go bad.

I have had hundreds of tools in both brands. Can’t go wrong either way.
I wish this were the case.

I got into the M12 stuff and bought a combo battery pack, a CP3.0 and a 4.0XC. The 3.0 is already fried....Not really sure where to go to get it warrantied since I rarely keep reciepts and what not. The rest have been great though.

I think between DeWalt and Milwaukee, you can't go wrong. I have Rigid, and I don't mind it (it's my 18V) It is heavy and has a limited tool selection.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I wish Predator was made in something between 3500 and 9000 in the quiet style.
I think they did come out with one in the last year.

Edit: I guess not. I thought I had seen one at 4,200 but I was wrong.

We do have one of their big boy loudness Predators. It’s a bargain for the price when you need that kind of power, but it ain’t the least bit quiet.

ID Bronco

The Milwaukee has a 5 year warranty and the DeWalt is 3 years, so I think that seals the deal there. I found some Chinese 5500w inverter generators that are about 60 decibels that I think I'll take a chance on. The prices on Amazon are good. If HF made one in between I'd use the coupon provided above and rick it, but they don't.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have M12 batteries that are 10 years old and still work great. I also have some 3.0 and 4.0 xc's but they are only a couple years old. You will kill Li batteries early if you let them freeze often.

If you are looking to branch into some mechanics cordless tools, and you should, Milwaukee is the better choice. The cordless ratchets, cuttoff wheels, die grinders and such are all awesome.
If you are driving screws all day, the M12 surge is unbeatable. The hydraulic mech is so much easier on your hand and it is way quieter.

ID Bronco

I have M12 batteries that are 10 years old and still work great. I also have some 3.0 and 4.0 xc's but they are only a couple years old. You will kill Li batteries early if you let them freeze often.

If you are looking to branch into some mechanics cordless tools, and you should, Milwaukee is the better choice. The cordless ratchets, cuttoff wheels, die grinders and such are all awesome.
If you are driving screws all day, the M12 surge is unbeatable. The hydraulic mech is so much easier on your hand and it is way quieter.

Good point, I use these for occasional all around use. More automotive than home repair but some of both.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are an electrician, I think you are pretty much obligated to go Milwaukee. Otherwise, all your Sparky buddies will make fun of you.

But if you have the freedom of thinking for yourself, I like dewalt.

But in reality, I am sure they all make a good tool.

I’ve had a handful of champion brand generators. They have always been reliable and sufficient. They are not anything special though, and are definitely not the quietest. I’ve seen quite a few of the predator brand generators that are very quiet and sufficient. My tax bracket doesn’t allow me to buy anything fancy though.
Well.......my son in law is an electrician and Jack just started his 1st year ........... and all my tools have been turning red. I think the Milwaukee batteries are much better than the 20V DeWalt batteries that I have. The tools themselves are probably pretty comparable. The Milwaukee Pack Out line is the bee's knee's.

Tonkaman

I wish this were the case.

I got into the M12 stuff and bought a combo battery pack, a CP3.0 and a 4.0XC. The 3.0 is already fried....Not really sure where to go to get it warrantied since I rarely keep reciepts and what not. The rest have been great though.

I think between DeWalt and Milwaukee, you can't go wrong. I have Rigid, and I don't mind it (it's my 18V) It is heavy and has a limited tool selection.
You should reach out to Milwaukee about getting it warrantied. I’ve always had great results when I deal with them, but I’ve always gone through a commercial account.