Fees at five mile pass

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Maybe it's my sceptisism of anything government related, but where does it stop? $3 isn't enough so we'll change it to $6. SUWA filed a lawsuit to close it so we have to pay for that, Let's raise it to $12. The price of Gas hit $6 let's raise it to $24. The governor thinks it's an eyesore and needs improved $50. Nobody uses it anymore because they can't afford it, let's just close it. -_-

Is a fee the end all solution anymore? Need more roads? Let's open a toll road. Want a hunting license? They probably are going to double again in the next couple years. City government overspent? yep doubling property taxes. I think the fee idea is stupid. If you want to pay for it maybe we ought to downsize the government.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It depends on what it will be used for. There are no services there and I don't really see off the top of my head why they need to make that a fee area unless
1. it's JUST a money-grabbing scheme
2. they are going to use it to offset some of the other areas that are underfunded.

I don't think 5mp needs anything in the form of infrastructure. *shrug*

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not a surprise at all. Not only is the BLM completely out of funds for improvements at areas like 5MPRA, they are out of money just to run their office. Federal budgets have been slashed despite user numbers being multiplied.

The AF Canyon Fee Demo area is a prime example of what can happen if money is kept in the area. Hope the system can be duplicated elsewhere.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ummm guys, there are already several new bathrooms in the area... I can think of 4....

Which took about 5 years longer to install than they were supposed to. They actually had a grant covering a portion of the improvement out there... they didn't have the money/resources to make it happen and lost the grant.

Bodine

One Call That's All
Steadman has IMO a good point we do pay a grundle for registration for OHVs it would be nice to see some of our registration money at work also could U4 play any type of role in this to get them to decrease or eliminate the fee? or is this out of our realm?

U4WDA has a board member working with the BLM/RAC to keep us informed about what's upcoming, but U4 has little to no influence in these areas mainly because we don't have enough volunteer resources to represent as a major stakeholder out there.

I'm not opposed to a fee system at 5MP, it would be great to see improvements out there. Another place to consume the countless ATV'ers and OHV users who I don't want invading my favorite secluded backcountry sites in other parts of the state.

Corban_White

I'd rather it stay free AND unimproved. There are plenty of places locally that have improved camping with water and toilets, etc. I think that the lack of improvements is what keeps the crowds down. I like AF canyon a ton but I hardly ever go up there because the reason I go into the mountains or desert is to get away. Up AF canyon this is almost impossible but I can go out to 5 mile and once I get ~2 miles off the paved road I'll maybe see 5-10 bikes/atv's and that's it. AND I didn't have to pay. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay to keep something open but I don't want to pay for improvements I don't think are needed and especially if they make the "wilderness" more "user friendly." :(

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I'd rather it stay free AND unimproved. There are plenty of places locally that have improved camping with water and toilets, etc. I think that the lack of improvements is what keeps the crowds down. I like AF canyon a ton but I hardly ever go up there because the reason I go into the mountains or desert is to get away. Up AF canyon this is almost impossible but I can go out to 5 mile and once I get ~2 miles off the paved road I'll maybe see 5-10 bikes/atv's and that's it. AND I didn't have to pay. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay to keep something open but I don't want to pay for improvements I don't think are needed and especially if they make the "wilderness" more "user friendly." :(

I can agree with that...

Meat_

Banned

I'd like it to go back to the way it was as little as 5 years ago (10 would be better), that like your plan isn't going to happen ;)

Keep in mind this thread was written 5 years ago. And it's still relevant.

Who is logging into EZ's account? I thought he was dead.

Someone called me last night with some very interesting information about this very topic. It's an intriguing idea.