Finally!! Started my XJ project!

patriot

AHHH, after 2 years I've finally started putting my XJ together. Got the front end mocked up last night! :D

For past 2 years, I've had to deal with taking the MCAT, medical school applications, medical school interviews, senior thesis, graduating from BYU's neuroscience program, and getting married! All while trying to put together pieces for my XJ and do my homework for this project.

Remember, this is my first "real" customized project. It's not going to be awesome, but it'll be functional and fun! Plus, I'm a poor student, so don't flame me too bad. When I get out of medical school, I'll have time and money to make better things! ;)

Front end

1978 Bronco HP 44
PG 4:56 gears w/ Trac Tech posi
1976 1/2 Chev Knuckles, spindles, brake calipers, and caliper brackets
5 on 5.5 Ford Rotors
36x12.5x15R TSL's (I tried to order the 37" IROK's but they're on back order :( ).
High Steer arms
Stock Bronco Radius arms extended to 40" w/ large RE Flex Joints
Warn Lockouts
RE 5.5 XJ Coils w/2" spacer
Drag link and tracbar need to be fabricated still :)

*I had to use my digital camcorder to take the pictures and transfer them from premiere, so they're kinda fuzzy*

Last edited:

patriot

Pic1

xj-front-install1.jpg

patriot

I still have some tweaking to do on the coil perches and with some other things.

Tonight I start on the rear and the 4-link!!

utahxjer

no offense, but you don't look like the typical BYU/ Med student. Looks like you have the right parts, now get that baby done!

Bart

Looks like you're on the right track and you've definitely waited long enough. Just a suggestion, sub frame your uniframe with some U channel, all the way back. Brace it through the floor and when you do an internal cage, tie it to that bracing. Good luck on your project.
Bart

patriot

utahxjer said:
no offense, but you don't look like the typical BYU/ Med student. Looks like you have the right parts, now get that baby done!

None taken!! :D I tried to stay away from the typical BYU nerd stereotype. You know the button up shirt, kacky cargs, sandles with socks, and listening to Dave Mathews or some other sissy music. :rofl:

I would get jokingly harassed all the time by some of my professors about being a skater neuroscientist with a Misfits belt buckle and an Iron Madien shirt.

patriot

Bart said:
Looks like you're on the right track and you've definitely waited long enough. Just a suggestion, sub frame your uniframe with some U channel, all the way back. Brace it through the floor and when you do an internal cage, tie it to that bracing. Good luck on your project.
Bart

That's exactly what I'm doing. 1/4" U-channel all the way back and I'm making a new tranny crossmember and a crossmember for the rear.

I hate the UNIBODY!!! :mad2:

Someday when I have money, I'm going to take a Tacoma frame and trade the XJ's unibody. That'll be difficult, take alot of thinking and welding, but pretty fun to try and see if I can make it work.

Last edited:

VANDALL

Hat No Uniboy's..................

I hate the UNIBODY!!!

Don't be a HATER, I love my and all my friend's unibody 2..............

VANDALL.

VANDALL

"with a Misfits belt buckle"
I have the same 1........
Get more pic's up FAST..............

VANDALL.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
patriot said:
I hate the UNIBODY!!! :mad2:

Someday when I have money, I'm going to take a Tacoma frame and trade the XJ's unibody. That'll be difficult, take alot of thinking and welding, but pretty fun to try and see if I can make it work.

just cut everything off and start from there. it works. the less original xj you have on it, the better off you are

patriot

CHAD VANDALL said:
"with a Misfits belt buckle"
I have the same 1........
Get more pic's up FAST..............

VANDALL.

I've had that buckle for 5 years now. I want to get a SamHain skull buckle, but I can't find one.

I'll try and get more pics up, I've been working on the dana 300 and the flip kit.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
For your radius arms you may want to check out Colby's design (he's on POR). He was selling them, but I'm not sure anymore. They're a wristed arm with a lock out feature for better on road handling.

From the looks of that pic you may want to change the location on those front spring buckets too ;)

patriot

Well, I made it to Florida!! :D Three words describe this place, "HOT AND HUMID"!!!!

I decided to trailer the HEEP down here instead of worrying about whether or not the thing would make it.

Here's some of the pictures I took the day before I left Utah. I got the XJ up and running, but still had to finish some stuff. I'm getting it all finished now.

It's been a fun project and learning experience. My first 4-link and it works!! But I can't really test its trail capability here in the flat land of Florida. Wish I had more time to work on it in Utah before we left and tested it on a real trail out there. Such is life...

xj9.jpg

Last edited: