finnaly picked up my first real dirt bike

krany

kranberry
with tons of searching i found this 1990 Yamaha yz 250 for a great price. its got some mild up grades like fmf pipe, fmf muffler,new skins and seat, has tons of other stuff on it to, just still picking out what it has had done to it, previous owner only knew a few details. i had to do some tinkering with the clutch so it would engage fully, and i need to find a adjuster screw for the top of the carb. other than that its a great bike, tons of power and very fast.
pic of it in the runner up.
7601c3fc.jpg

75289195.jpg

554aef72.jpg

lets go ridin!after its registered :greg:

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Awesome! Good to see you found one :cool:

Should be a fun bike for you. With any new purchase look the whole thing over really close and make sure to check the air filter, lube/inspect the clutch and throttle cables and change the engine oil.

krany

kranberry
Already lubes the chain and clutch cable, the throttle cable is really smooth, gonna dig in and pull the filter and clean it, do you clean it just like you would a k&n? Just soapy water and oil it like a k&n or just let it air dry

Caleb

Depends on the filter. Most of the M/C ones, you have to use their cleaner...or atleast it makes it extremely simple to clean if you use their cleaner. With that said, I have, and occasionally use, the No Toil cleaning kit when I need to clean my filter and I'm not able to make it to the store or order a filter in time. Most of the time, I just go buy a new pre-oiled filter. They are ~$15, and it saves an easy hour of cleaning, drying, re-oiling your old filter. Then I take my time on cleaning the old one and use it as a spare. Most of the time I will only clean a filter once.

I also always use the No Toil filters. They may not be the best out there, but I've never had any problems with them.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Already lubes the chain and clutch cable, the throttle cable is really smooth, gonna dig in and pull the filter and clean it, do you clean it just like you would a k&n? Just soapy water and oil it like a k&n or just let it air dry

EDIT Caleb beat me to it...

It depends on the filter oil you use. I have no idea what is best, but I really like the PJ1 brand because tide laundry detergent cleans them exceptionally well and my wife stocks the detergent lol :D It wouldn't touch the Maxima filter oil I bought recently... Don't use No-toil if you have a UNI brand filter and never use K&N oil on a foam filter.

Anyway Airfilter cleaner or soap (never gasoline) and water will clean them up. Check for rips and tears. Then let them air dry completely before re-oiling. You may find yourself doing this after only a couple rides depending on how much dust there it so check it often.

sixstringsteve

Hey, congrats Kranberry! I assume it's a YZ250, right? 1990 was supposed to be one of the best motors yamaha made. Do you have much riding experience?

krany

kranberry
Hey, congrats Kranberry! I assume it's a YZ250, right? 1990 was supposed to be one of the best motors yamaha made. Do you have much riding experience?
Thanks for catching that, long day at work lol. Anyways I have a little bit I had a little 50cc when I was 8 but that doesnt really count much cause it wasn't fast And didnt have power like this bike does.