First gun ideas

sixstringsteve

Anyone have a Ruger Mark III? I would love to pick up a target version.

I'm no expert, but I've heard that a lot of people prefer the MK2 over the Mk3. I would LOVE to shoot an AWC Amphibian (MK2 with supressor). I'm probably just over-excited knowing that the special forces use these.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I love my SIG p250 9mm. The single action trigger took some getting used to but after a few hundred rounds you dont even realize it anymore. It is a super simple gun and reliable to boot. The fact it holds 16 rounds is also a plus.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
For a 22 pistol I would go with a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger mark II or III, the Ruger will cost you less for mags, they are both great guns. I would probably recommend a rifle over a pistol for a first gun tho.... As for a 9mm watch for Cabellas to have their special on Glock trade in guns and pick up a glock 17 or 19 they usually have them for $350.00 you won't get hurt buying a used glock and I would take a used glock over any new pistol anyway.

FYI if you want to get a gun to eventually carry, I carry a glock 17 full size all the time. In the pants and it doesnt even bother me...... Its all about the holster

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
For some reason I can't hit anything with a Glock. I can shoot very nice patterns with a Springfield XD, but I shoot consistently low when I pick up a Glock.

It's worth saying again, try to shoot the guns you're interested in before buying one, because you may find one works a lot better for you than the others.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I think everyone should have at least one .22 whether its a rifle or pistol. Another plus to them in my case was my wife grew up in the big city and HATED guns (for good reason--but that's another story...). I finally talked her into shooting my Henry .22LR lever action and she ended up having a riot :) They are also a great survival weapon if you're into that sort of thing...

I would HIGHLY recommend taking the concealed weapons course whether you choose to get the permit or not. Most instructors take the time to clear up all the legal misconceptions of owning and using firearms for self defense. Most will also give you the opportunity to go to the range and fire several different firearms which is a lot of fun.

STAG

On my grind
Tyson I have a buddy (and also a coworker) that have the Springfield XD-40 ( a 9 mm bullet size is .389" if i remember right? And the 40 is .400) so it is barely bigger than a 9 mm. Also both their XD-40 clips hold 16 rounds and the .40 reputably has noticably more stopping power than a 9mm. (mass and energy and all that junk) and for home and camping protection, i'd definitely reccomend that.

Caleb

My brother has a Kel Tec P-11 9mm that he may be selling. It's a small compact gun, good for carrying. However, I will honestly say, it's not a fun gun to go out and shoot recreationally. It's loud and kicks pretty bad. That's expected though since it is so small and there's nothing fancy about it.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
Tyson I have a buddy (and also a coworker) that have the Springfield XD-40 ( a 9 mm bullet size is .389" if i remember right? And the 40 is .400) so it is barely bigger than a 9 mm. Also both their XD-40 clips hold 16 rounds and the .40 reputably has noticably more stopping power than a 9mm. (mass and energy and all that junk) and for home and camping protection, i'd definitely reccomend that.

Try .355"

Ima9er

Crazy Man
my first hand gun was a glock 27. its a .40 cal, and a sub compact version. very peppy and lightweight. the only draw back on it is your pinky doesn't fit on the grip, so i had to buy for a few dollars an extra grip on the magazine. i conceal it EVERYWHERE i go also. i actually bought it before i had my ccw, and ammo isn't to fairly expensive, but my next hand gun will be a 9mm for sure, my wife will be able to shoot that one a lot better then the .40
i also like the xd guns. i'd get the older xd9 before i get the xdm gun.. just my .02 cents