First time to Moab

bkendall

JK Owner
So I am making my first trip to Moab next weekend, super excited! My Jeep is very capable of some of the harder trails over here but not sure what to try while in Moab. I do not have lockers, just a limited-slip rear. I don't plan on doing an extreme, push the limits trip (the wife will be along).

So my question is: What trails would be good to do that offer the best views and sights?

I have done SOME research through this very helpful site:
http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?menu=4422&id=16364

Unfortunately I don't think I will be doing any of the trails rated a 7. So with that in mind what do you guys recommend for best viewing around a 5 rating?

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped

rholbrook

Finns & Things, Hells Revenge and Poison Spider Mesa are the first three I would try in that order. The first two are right next to each other and the third is out of town along the river.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
It's easy to get lost on PSM especially if you're alone and have never been there. You aren't going alone are you?
If your wife has a limited sense of humor when it comes to wheeling I wouldn't recommend any of those trails at first.
If you want to break her in slowly, trails like top of the world, gemini bridges, prichett arch and klondike bluffs are all good moderate trails with nice views. If you want to get a bit more daring and want to drive outside MOAB (50 miles so) you can got to Elephant Hill Rd in Canyonlands Needles Disctrict. It's got a little bit of everything and you can drive to a 1.5 mile hiking trail to confluence point where the Colorado and Green rivers meet. Chicks dig it.

capt scotty

Elephant hill is a great scenic trail. It is easy to follow and has just enough pucker factor to feel like you went wheeling without unexpected challenges.
have fun. Fins and things is good to. Tower arch is a fun trail also it is inside Arches. You could check at the Arches visitors center to see if Eye of the whale trail is open. It can be run with Tower arch.

zkeys

So I am making my first trip to Moab next weekend, super excited! My Jeep is very capable of some of the harder trails over here but not sure what to try while in Moab. I do not have lockers, just a limited-slip rear. I don't plan on doing an extreme, push the limits trip (the wife will be along).

So my question is: What trails would be good to do that offer the best views and sights?

I have done SOME research through this very helpful site:
http://www.rr4w.com/pageview.aspx?menu=4422&id=16364

Unfortunately I don't think I will be doing any of the trails rated a 7. So with that in mind what do you guys recommend for best viewing around a 5 rating?

Hell's Revenge is a must. I am a novice wheeler and I did it in a full size extended cab pickup without issue.

There are some steep ups and downs the first mile or two that are not a problem. They just add a little pucker to the ride. Take the trail out to the overlook for great views of the Colorado river way.

After the overlook there are a few steep ups and downs until you get to the hot tubs. After the hot tubs there is a steep down.

The hardest part (to me) was the last mile or so. Lots of rocky ledges and off camber stuff. Not to difficult but I drug my skids about 10 times. Great scenery the whole way.

Fins and things is pretty cool but I have never done the southern section.

Poison Spider is great but has some difficult spots. The first mile is extremely rocky with some ledges. Then up the waterfall is a little hairy. After that everything else can pretty much be bypassed. Look the trail up on traildamage.com and make sure you hit the overlook where the Portal Trail (bikes) takes off, as well as the arch that overlooks the Colorado river.

Have fun!!

Zack

scootrrydr

Hells Revenge is a great trail to start with. Hells Gate is an obstacle you can pass up on if you want. So is Tip Over. Escalator is a nice obstacle with a good spotter...

DSCN0196.jpg

bkendall

JK Owner
Alright here are the trails I have narrowed it down to based on your suggestions and different reviews based on the hiking and views:

Poison Spider Mesa
Hell's Revenge
Steel Bender
Porcupine Rim
Fins & Things

Are there any that you would recommend not doing and replace it with something else?

Jesser04

IMO on steel bender if I were alone I would go to the wall and turn around I heard the fall got washed pretty good over easter. Someone might be able to chime in on that maybe the awesome people with mffw.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Steel Bender doesn't get as much traffic, I wouldn't recommend it for a single vehicle if you are late in the day getting started.

Nobody has mentioned Gold bar rim yet, it's an up and back trail and you could hit Gemini Bridges/Bull canyon on the way.