Five Miles of Hell this coming weekend!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Kevin and I are planning on spending the weekend in the San Rafael Swell riding dirtbikes. The goal is to run 5MOH at least once. I know its short notice, but if you are interested please post up or PM me. We will be camping nearby and if you don't mind a few cold ones and some tall tails after the riding is over feel free to join in that as well.

Anyway we were planning on running it Saturday Oct 23. I have not been on this trail yet, but I'm going to say ahead of time that it is probably NOT for the faint of heart or inexperienced rider. We will be in the area from Friday to Monday so if there is another trail in the area you are interested in doing hit me up we'd love to join. Thanks,

Andrew

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
...it is probably NOT for the faint of heart or inexperienced rider.

While I don't fit squarely into either of these categories, I'm certainly not a ballsy, pro-level rider either. The helmet cam youtube videos I've watched certainly look pretty hairy!

Jared

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... *thinking*

What day do you plan to run 5MOH? I'm not sure I have the skill for it, but I think the WR250F would be a good bike for that. I'm not sure I'm ready to have my ass handed to me though!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
If you are running it on Sunday, I could probably make it down. My recommendation is for you to run the red trail first on Friday or Saturday. If you don't struggle on that trail to much, you should survive the 5MOH. If you feel the red trail is a little to much, then the 5MOH will be way to much.:eek:

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND a trials tire.

Do you have a San Rafael travel map? If not, I could mail one to you or get it to you on your way through on Friday.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The only better bike than your WR would be an XR200.:greg:

So I've heard! :p

The WR is wound pretty tight these days, it might be a bit sketchy on 5MOH!

All said, I think I'll be in Moab this weekend with Jared riding stuff that will (hopefully not) break any of my bones... :) Have fun guys!

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Well if you decide you want to run it with us let us know. We don't have to set a speed record either so no worries, we're just gonna have fun:D We can also run other trails too so if anyone wants to just ride there's alot to run!!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you are running it on Sunday, I could probably make it down. My recommendation is for you to run the red trail first on Friday or Saturday. If you don't struggle on that trail to much, you should survive the 5MOH. If you feel the red trail is a little to much, then the 5MOH will be way to much.:eek:

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND a trials tire.

Do you have a San Rafael travel map? If not, I could mail one to you or get it to you on your way through on Friday.

Great thanks! I have a 08 ATV map of the area so that should be good. We're pretty excited to run this one and we've been talking about it all year. For some stupid reason we really like the insane technical stuff so this should be great for that. I think I'll swing by Rocky mountain atv and grab a set of sprockets though. After a brutal single track yesterday I found my new bike is geared a wee bit high :ugh:

Are you going to be camping at the twin knolls trail head?

Not sure just yet. I was planning on camping near Temple Mountain if there is still free/legal camping in that area? (can anyone confirm that?)

It would be great if you want to head down and give us the grand tour. Again we have no schedule and we're just planning on hitting 5MOH and the Waterfall trail sometime during the weekend :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Not sure just yet. I was planning on camping near Temple Mountain if there is still free/legal camping in that area? (can anyone confirm that?)...

Lots, you can camp at various dispersed sites on the west side of Temple, there are a few sites on the south side and north sides too. Plenty of camping in that area and this late in the year you should have easy pickings.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Arrrrghhhh I sold my bike a few months back and now I hate my life!!!! LOL :D

I have rode 5 MOH many many times, we normally ride it as an "out n back" but you don't have too. If you struggle at all on the red trail then 5 miles will be much harder for you, the sprocket will help you alot as will a good tire. It gets into the shit right away so if you are hating it after the first mile (or less) consider turning around. The color trails are alot of fun and can be rode fast (my fav). Take lots of pics!!

I am in the market for a new bike, once this happens I will be all over going out with you guys! Have fun!!

Oh and there is a good camp spot on the left, right after you go through the "cut" into the swell from Goblin turn off. After you get through the wash and start to climb up hill watch for a road to the left that goes down a hill and into a dead end valley...nice spot, I have pulled my RV in there before.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If you are planning on riding the Waterfall Trail, this is a must read:

http://www.sageridersmc.com/mork-of-the-desert.html

As a little FYI, the guy in the blue shirt is Dick Brass. He is the person responsible for the building of the Temple Mountain Trail System

Ohhh wooowwwww :ugh: :eek: Great read :cool:

Its great that people like that can offer us (complete strangers) an opportunity to get out and explore new trails. I love the area in 4x4's and hiking boots--can't wait to see it on two wheels.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As much as I would like to go, it looks like I am out for this weekend. Being Disneyland last week has put me way behind on a couple of things I need to get done