fix this problem

yotaman

Let It Snow!!!!!!
i have a 95 toyota tacoma and am having a problem with my clutch. me and some friends went up corner canyon on saturday night. way fun. i drive my truck on sunday and this morning and it is running fine. when i leave school i notice that my clutch starts to shake really bad as im driving. there were no funning noises either just a lot of vibration on the clutch stick. what could be the problem? any info will be nice. could it be my drive shaft or clutch or u-joints? help please. this also made my check engine light come on. there is no slipping or grinding. it just shakes. could my clutch be going out?

Last edited:

Caleb

to me it sounds like your clutch is slipping...but does it do it all the time or only while acelerating???

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
check the bolts holding the motor to the tranz, then shake your clutch fork by hand and see if there is any play. Look for leakage too..... Need more peliminary probs, pre diognostic...

Caleb

well if it happens while coasting too (you mean out of gear right???) then it shouldn;t ahve anything to do with the clutch...get under there and like Skye said, check for loose bolts leakage and shift fork play...also check for any garbage or anything like that that could have gotten up in there...best thing to do is just get in there and start diagnosing instead of just want others to fix it...:D

yotaman

Let It Snow!!!!!!
i went out ran my truck and looked at where the clutch is and that was shaking pretty good. is this normal? my engine wasn't shaking so that can be a problem. there is still a some mud up in there so this could be a problem.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I got underneath it and tried looking at motor mounts (fine) and transmission mounts (couldn't find!) But everything to me looks normal, I didn't see the clutch shaking which is described right above. I'm gonna look at it again tomorrow.

Also on that same trip my buddies Dodge Ram blew the passenger side U-joint on his front axle. My other buddy's Chev blew out both passenger side tires(slow leaks) and dented in his door pretty good. And finally my buddy's cherokee got stuck because battery died, then we found out his alternator went out today. Every rig that went up on Sat. broke something. I broke my driveshaft U-joint on friday cruising down 13th... I'm a true pavement pounder! :D

yotaman

Let It Snow!!!!!!
i went and got it diagnosed today at the dealership. they told me that water had leaked in from my air filter. it still runs so it couldn't be a lot. i have taken out my spark plugs. how do you tell if they have sparked with water? i also took apart all my air filter stuff and dont see water spots any where. how will i go about drying out my spark plugs and anything else i need to do? i also drained my oil. do water and oil mix? cause the oil felt a little watery. on the way home from the dealership my clutch stick stopped shaking which is good. hopefully it stays this way. any info.

Caleb

check your oil...if its milky then you prolly have water in it(even if there is just a tiny bit on the tip of the stick), if its not then I doubt there's anything to worry about(if there is then I would change the oil a couple time till no more shows up on the stick)...I think the stealership didn;t know what it was so they fed you the water deal...:D:p

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Good news! Pulled the plugs, drained the oil, put in new oil and oil treatment. Started with plugs out, mist came out of a couple of the holes. let it sit, tried again. Put everything back together started it up, and it is now running at top shape!

Yotaman is going to buy an airfilter tomorrow, he had a K&N... I also have a K&N both of us have the same symptoms with our filters... Both are way greasy, we clean them using K&N filter charger kit on a regular basis.

Also the guys at Autozone said that the K&N filters are not the best for protecting against water and mud, but K&N advertising completely opposite. What do you guys think? both of us need new filters and what do you recommend we get? Fram? Any others? thanks guys!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by tweakeyjeep
...Also the guys at Autozone said that the K&N filters are not the best for protecting against water and mud,...

Thats because a one of the dudes that work there, also works for the Dana/Spicer company in the Wix division...selling air filters.. I have heard him badmouth K&N hundreds of times, I must admit, some of his arguments are valid...

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I do need to replac my air filter as well as Yotaman... Should we just buy K&N again... or go with a different company like fram or uh.... What else is out there besides having to replace every 3000 miles?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
paper filters work good for water. I ran a k&n year round on my old trucks xterior snorkle system, rain, snow, sun, whatever. No probs. If you think I oild it your nutz.... Just get a decent fram and be done, or K&N if you gotz the $$ how'd you get water in the motor? Doesn't add up... did you even play in the water?

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by Skyetone
paper filters work good for water. I ran a k&n year round on my old trucks xterior snorkle system, rain, snow, sun, whatever. No probs. If you think I oild it your nutz.... Just get a decent fram and be done, or K&N if you gotz the $$ how'd you get water in the motor? Doesn't add up... did you even play in the water?

We didn't play in any huge puddles, just small puddles on a trail and really sloppy mud, it was raining at the time too... It doesn't add up to us either?! :confused:

I guess I'll just rebuy my K&N. I can't believe how greasy it is... I have taken it out after wheeling trips and long drives and I followed the recharger kit for it and it is just nasty... It isn't even the red color anymore, more of a light black/brown color!!!

troutbum

cubi-kill
all you did was change the oil??? What color was it? Did it look like chocolate milk??

You didn't tighten any bolts are do anything to the tranny/bellhousing at the same time?