FJ40 Buggy Build

midog

I have been debating this for a long time, but have finally decided to post up my project in hopes that you may offer me some good advice.

I quick warning this build is not slated to be finished until the spring of next year, and may be a bit slow going.

Here it goes....

1. 1975 FJ40 hood and fire wall based tube buggy / trail rig, with 1-3/4 and 1.5" Dom (some HREW) Cage. 2 seats in the front and a rear facing bence in the back for the kids.
2. Chevy TBI 350
3. Atlas11 T-Case 3.8:1
4. Turbo 350 Trans Manual Valve Body, Art Car Shifter
5. 18" 2.5 Remote Reservoir Dual Rate FOA Coilovers, 1-1/4" Heims w/ High Mis spacers all around, 2" 1/4 wall DOM links. Brackets all 1/4" boxed and dimpled with 10ga. Rear double triangulated, who knows on the front?
6. 42" Iroks on 12 bolt H1 wheels w/ PVC inserts.
7. Unimog 404 Axles with pinion conversion, Disc Brake Conversion (Chevy rotors Corvette calipers), 8 Lug Conversion and a High Steer Arm Conversion.
8. Other goodies, Aluminum radiator and shroud, Custom Aluminum Fuel Cell(still fabricating), Auto Meter Gauges, MLS

Future Items planned (pending $$$)

1. Corbeau Baja Ultra Seat with a 36" bench
2. Full Hydro Steering (PCS with Howe Pump).
3. Front and Rear winches.
4. Aluminum Skins, Floor and Center Console
5. Tons of MLS parts.

She's not much to look at now, but here she is.

Crawler 05-27-09 001.jpg

Crawler 05-27-09 002.jpg

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well that is certainly an interesting frame design LOL but I believe in freedom!!! and the right to self-expression!!!!

I like your parts list. Please, by all means, post many, many pics as often as you can. :D I like it.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Definately a cool parts list.. Any idea on how high you plan on your frame sitting off the ground? That thing'd be awesome to have sitting low for a good solid COG, and let the portal axles/massive tires give you all the height that you need.

midog

Thanks for the support guys!

Next step is to finish the brackets for the links and mount up the tires.

More info and pics to come!

midog

Definitely a cool parts list.. Any idea on how high you plan on your frame sitting off the ground? That thing'd be awesome to have sitting low for a good solid COG, and let the portal axles/massive tires give you all the height that you need.

Right now the bottom of the 3rd member is 20" (center of axle is at 24") and I am shooting for a 24" belly.

I biggest obstacle I am facing to accomplish this is the front drive shaft at the flange of the 3rd member is about 1-2" away from hitting the oil pan.

I would like at least 5" of bump in the front and hope I can modify the oil pan to make it work

A couple of bad pics
7f2dbeb111eb__1235710417000[1].jpg
eb242f34b466__1235710352000[1].jpg

Mug

PHORmerly
Nice to see that you kept the pop out side vents. And the tube work is stunning. I always respect guys that can pull that off in a garage that you have to duck your head down to get around in!

midog

Nice to see that you kept the pop out side vents. And the tube work is stunning. I always respect guys that can pull that off in a garage that you have to duck your head down to get around in!

Thanks! I am a bit low on space, that is for sure!

midog

subscribed! good to see people aren't afraid to use 404 mogs anymore. :D

I have always wanted to put a set of mog axles under my truck and am sure they will hold up great. One of the modifications I have done is to brace the portal "the weak part" of the axle with a 1/2" steel bracket carefully welded around the the entire portal. This has been said to strengthen the box along with a good place to mount up some calipers. The stock size of tires run on mogs is about a 39" tire and I will bump it up to 42" not to much off from stock. I have talked to people that have done this fix that are running 47's with no problems to date? Another problem people have is the bolts on the portal tend to "loosen" them selfs and eventually causes failure. I plan to safety wire the bolt to prevent this from happening. I fully expect them to be solid axles.

Thanks

e735c33dca1a__1242994591000[1].jpg

f1308dc3f9de__1242994563000[1].jpg

Matt

Yeah! hitting my portal box's with the torque wrench has become part of my wheeling pre-trip. After the first week long Moab trip with my rig, i freaked out seeing a half inch gap and half the bolts ready to fall out!:eek:

midog

Yeah! hitting my portal box's with the torque wrench has become part of my wheeling pre-trip. After the first week long Moab trip with my rig, i freaked out seeing a half inch gap and half the bolts ready to fall out!:eek:

Do you have a build thread? I would like to see what you have done with your axles! How have you liked them?

Matt

No build thread, i bought it off a guy several years ago and had to work a few bugs out of it. I've never had a problem with the axles, other than the portal box bolts. I definitely like the clearance they give you, i can take lines that one tons running the same tire size get hung up on. :cool:

Matt

(I biggest obstacle I am facing to accomplish this is the front drive shaft at the flange of the 3rd member is about 1-2" away from hitting the oil pan.)

Your best bet would be to run a 2-piece drive shaft/pillow block, you would cringe if you seen how my motor was set up to get around this issue. :D

midog

(I biggest obstacle I am facing to accomplish this is the front drive shaft at the flange of the 3rd member is about 1-2" away from hitting the oil pan.)

Your best bet would be to run a 2-piece drive shaft/pillow block, you would cringe if you seen how my motor was set up to get around this issue. :D

I am facing the same issue. I have not offset my motor, but hope that between a (2) peace drive shaft and a modified oil pan I will be able to overcome the problem.

midog

More Pictures

So, its been a while and thought I post up a couple more pictures.

-The 4-link brakes are done, minus boxing them in.
-Coil over mounts almost done
-Mounted up a couple tire to see how they will look

I took the firewall and hood off to get painted, so the front end looks funny.
Buggy 2 09-24-09 003.jpg
Buggy 2 09-24-09 004.jpg
Buggy 09-24-09 002.jpg
Buggy 09-24-09 004.jpg

Attachments

• Buggy 09-24-09 001.jpg
    Buggy 09-24-09 001.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 72