fj80 coil springs

cjfj80

Can anyone give me some specs on stock fj80 coils? I have some and just wondering if there is any way to narrow down what year they are off of. Unloaded (no weight on them) how tall roughly are they and diameter.
Thanks.
Sorry its vague on details but I don't know much about these except I was told they came off an fj80.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What color bands are on them? That is really the only way to determine exactly what they came off of. I've got a spreadsheet of many 'known' color bands as well as their calculated spring rates, heights... eventually I plan to publish the data but I need to fill in some missing blanks before hand.

If they are truly from an FJ80 then they have to be 90-92', the FZJ80 came out later that year.

cjfj80

blue I think, I'll double check when I get out of work.
Uncompressed they are about 15 inches tall.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Front or rear?

Front 80 Series coils work on the back of a 96-02' 4Runner and rear 80 Series coils work on the back of an 89-95' 4Runner.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i have the rear springs of a Fj80 on my 1991 it gave it a 4 to 5 inch lift, not sure of how much lift the fronts would give your 1996 from what i have heard when i asked that was 4 to 6 but like i said not sure.......Kurt whats the right answer?

cjfj80

I have a 2 inch in the front and stuck those fj's under and it still sags pretty bad in the rear. Thats why I am trying to figure out whats up.

theferg

DD for Life
I have a 2 inch in the front and stuck those fj's under and it still sags pretty bad in the rear. Thats why I am trying to figure out whats up.

Are you running a ton of weight in the rear? Did you just put them on or have they been on for a long time? And you have no idea where they came from...?

Wither way, you either have squished-to-hell, worn-out 80 series springs, or they're not actually from an 80 series. How many spring wraps and, like Kurt said, what is the colors on them (they will have two dots of colored paint on each coil, most likely different than each other so check both coils)? Some other info (unsprung height as well as coil diameter) would be super helpful as well...

My guess?--they're not actually 80 series coils.

And just some fun fact info: someone around here put some '91 FJ80 coils on the rear of his 1996 and they are damn near the longest, tallest 80 series springs I have seen. He is a good inch taller than me in the rear and prob close to 5" over stock rear. He doesn't run much weight at all in the rear though IIRC.

*But*, the springs seem to be just about random lengths, heights etc for any given year...

-Ferg-

Lka1988

poor college student
Are you running a ton of weight in the rear? Did you just put them on or have they been on for a long time? And you have no idea where they came from...?

Wither way, you either have squished-to-hell, worn-out 80 series springs, or they're not actually from an 80 series. How many spring wraps and, like Kurt said, what is the colors on them (they will have two dots of colored paint on each coil, most likely different than each other so check both coils)? Some other info (unsprung height as well as coil diameter) would be super helpful as well...

My guess?--they're not actually 80 series coils.

And just some fun fact info: someone around here put some '91 FJ80 coils on the rear of his 1996 and they are damn near the longest, tallest 80 series springs I have seen. He is a good inch taller than me in the rear and prob close to 5" over stock rear. He doesn't run much weight at all in the rear though IIRC.

*But*, the springs seem to be just about random lengths, heights etc for any given year...

-Ferg-

You talkin' about Lee's Runner? His is the black one with DC stickers and a custom tube front bumper... Those were my old stock front springs. :D

Just to echo what Ben said about the saggy springs, FJ80 springs will give a good amount of lift for any 4Runner. Either you have seriously worn-out LX450 springs (softer than the regular Land Cruiser springs), or something completely different.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
X2 for that, i'm almost 100% sure if it's sagging they are not FJ80 coils, because even when i put a spare and tons of gear in mine as well as people it doesn't move much

cjfj80

I finally remembered to check the color band and its Purple. There are 5-6 coils depending on what side you count. Spring bar diameter is .6 inches. Uncompressed I think they where around 15 inches tall which is actually about 1/2 shorter than my stock uncompressed. Do these sound like 80 springs?
I have no extra weight in the rear yet.
The springs looked brand new when I put them under. The guy on here I got the springs from we've wheeled and dealed a bunch of parts over the last couple years but funny enough after I bought these I can't get a hold of him anymore. So I have not been able to confirm anything from him.
So next step is to pull these and find another route I suppose.