flat top drilling and tapping

tuck

spud crawler
exactly what does it take to "machine" flat top knuckles to accept hi-steer arms?

flatten the knuckle completely, drill holes, tap em and done? am I missing something?

anyone know the specifics on the drilling and tapping aspect? thanks.

tuck

spud crawler
Originally posted by Shawn

About $50.00, and a few day's to get them done.

MS Conceptions

:rolleyes:

perhaps I should be more specific with my question.

okay.. I take my knuckles to a machine shop and give them $50 and tell them to "machine" them. When I pick them up, what is the work that will have been accomplished on my knuckles by the machine shop.

Sorry if this sounds like a story problem, it's finals week and I've had 4 in the last 2 days.

Perhaps I should just ask, did anyone machine their flat top knuckles themselves, or did everyone do the McDonalds drive thru version? Thanks. :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I highly dought you can do it yourself.

Unless you have access to a machine shop you may have to do the "drive through".

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok, let me just say this. When it comes to Your steering, why mess around with trying to get it right?

If you have a few flat tops laying around incase you mess one up then go for it.
For the $50.00 that it costs, the headach isn't worth it.

That is just my opinon.

tuck

spud crawler
Originally posted by Shawn
Ok, let me just say this. When it comes to Your steering, why mess around with trying to get it right?

If you have a few flat tops laying around incase you mess one up then go for it.
For the $50.00 that it costs, the headach isn't worth it.

That is just my opinon.

Actually, I just wanted to know what the process involved, I never said that I was going to do it myself.

$50 sounds like a pretty fair price, I assume that is the price for each knuckle.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I believe Six States can do it... They don't machine the Knuckle Flat, just Drill and Tap and use the Cast surface.

I know for sure the Orem store can do it. SLC should be able to, also.

They charge around $45 to Drill and Tap. Arms are like $50 ea.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
First you make the surface flat, use a good file, and spend about 10 minutes on it, then mark your holes, build a jig to hold the knuckle level and plumb, go buy your tap and bit, and be done with it. You will spend more on parts this way, but if you're stubborn like me, that's how it's done.