Flat towing question ???

Maxxsmoke

NOObee
On my 87 if I have the froont unlocked and the transfer case in neutral will it be ok to flat tow or should I install the lock out hubs on the back ? I know the lock out hubs is the best overall solution however the money need to go for other things first...... Thanks in advance for your advice :bow:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Maxxsmoke said:
On my 87 if I have the froont unlocked and the transfer case in neutral will it be ok to flat tow or should I install the lock out hubs on the back ? I know the lock out hubs is the best overall solution however the money need to go for other things first...... Thanks in advance for your advice :bow:

'87 what?

I am guessing YJ or XJ since you mention the hub issue....
If so, yes and no....Many people have done it without problem. However, I would pull the rear drive line....PIA if you still have a slip yoke....

When I flat towed my EB, I unlocked the hubs and pulled the rear driveline.

notajeep

Just me
I have heard that on most jeeps with the 231 t-case they can be flat towed for short distances (100 - 150 miles) with no problem. But beyond that they can have issues because of the pump? that circulates (sp) the fluid will not be driven. So I HAVE HEARD that if you stop every 100 to 150 miles and let the motor run for a few minutes that every thing will be peachy. You gotta go potty every once and a while anyway right? :ugh:
But if it were me... I'd just disconect the rear drive line and stuff a 20oz soda bottle over the end of the tcase if you still have the slip yoke. ;)

Ford Prefect

notajeep said:
I have heard that on most jeeps with the 231 t-case they can be flat towed for short distances (100 - 150 miles) with no problem. But beyond that they can have issues because of the pump? that circulates (sp) the fluid will not be driven. So I HAVE HEARD that if you stop every 100 to 150 miles and let the motor run for a few minutes that every thing will be peachy. You gotta go potty every once and a while anyway right? :ugh:
But if it were me... I'd just disconect the rear drive line and stuff a 20oz soda bottle over the end of the tcase if you still have the slip yoke. ;)

Why even do that?

Just tie the drive shaft up unter the frame, and you are fine. If they front is not in, the tcase is in nutral, and the shaft is off of the rear axle, the t-case is not going to move, so why even disco it from the tcase?

DrMoab

notajeep said:
Not true....the pump is at the very back of the case and turns anytime the rear driveshaft is turning. If your tcase is in neutral and your front end is unlocked you can tow it till the wheels fall off...Just MAKE SURE your front end is unlocked. You will spit Tcase parts all over the highway if you don't because an older 231 locks the front and rear together when the tcase is in neutral. This binds up the tcase just like it was in 4wd.

Don't worry about disconnecting the rear shaft...just make sure the fronts unlocked...tranny is in gear and Tcase is in neutral and you will be set.