Flatty addiction - 1953 Willys CJ3B with a V8

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I’m with Bart on the dislike of the high hoods. I’m also not a fan of the Ford flathead, but they do score a 10 on the cool looks.

If you want to improve dependability, convert it over to a conventional 12V system. In addition, I’m running the Petronics electronic ignition. Both upgrades are well worth the money.

Speedway motors, as well as others offer a single wire alternator that is a direct replacement for that crappy old generator. I have the one Speedway offers, it works great and keeps that old school look.
A8117AFA-B073-480E-AE32-5F3AFBFD7407.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I’m with Bart on the dislike of the high hoods. I’m also not a fan of the Ford flathead, but they do score a 10 on the cool looks.

If you want to improve dependability, convert it over to a conventional 12V system. In addition, I’m running the Petronics electronic ignition. Both upgrades are well worth the money.

Speedway motors, as well as others offer a single wire alternator that is a direct replacement for that crappy old generator. I have the one Speedway offers, it works great and keeps that old school look.
View attachment 127154

I love the 3B with the Flathead because it's unique, there are plenty of 2A's and 3A's with SBC's, but this combo is way different and that is what makes it awesome. I've never seen a Ford Flathead in any Flat Fender before.

I was looking at the PerTronix ignition module before it I got it running, just in case! $130 isn't bad in order to ditch the points. And I agree on the 12V upgrade.... both of those changes would bring reliability to this thing.

We will see if I decide to make those changes.... as much as I love this thing, I don't have the time to give it the attention it really needs. It may be going up for sale soon and someone else can enjoy this unique Jeep.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I put everything all back together, tried to bleed the brakes being hopeful and.... nothing. I'm certain it needs a new master & wheel cyls. I did a little adjusting on the carb, but it has a stumble off idle and doesn't seem to run well at higher RPM. The carb needs to be cleaned properly. The key switch wasn't working correctly, so I replaced it so you can start it with the ignition switch. Put some new gas line on, deleted the block heater and stupid heater box that sat were the passengers knees go.

After all that, I fired it up and I went for a drive.... around my yard, with no brakes! As much as I love this thing, I just don't have the time that it needs... so it's up for grabs!