?$ for a comp rig

P

pokeyYJ

What is the average cost of building and maintaining a legends style rig? I would like to get an idea of the amount that it would cost me,(not like I have any money anyways)

What about a full on rig?

What is the average repair bill for a year of comps?

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
Just add it up.
(These prices are just a guess for an all tube buggy)

$1000 Tubing
$2000 Coil overs
$2000 Tires and beadlocked wheels
$ 800 Engine
$ 500 Tranny
$2000 Atlas
$4000 Axles
$ 600 Winch
$ 200 Winch rope
$ 500 Seats
$ 200 Steering brakes
$ 500 Gauges
$1500 Hydro steering
$ 500 Wiring and switches
$1000 Brake lines, tabs, hoses, fittings, misc.
______
$17,300

This price doesn't include any adapters, depending on your engine and tranny choice.

Doesn't include paint or any body panels.

Doesn't include any labor.

Doesn't include the typical 30% over budget projects usually take.

Okay now you wanna compete you need:

$30,000 Used Diesel truck
$ 2,000 Trailer
_______
$32,000

To get you there.

Now you gotta sign up.
(We'll say you wanna do the whole UROC series)
$ 125 To register
$1000 In event fees. ($200 each times 5 events)
$5000 Travel costs. (Gas and hotels for 5 events)
$2500 Repair costs. ($500 per event for repainting and broken parts)
______
$8625

Ok so for 1 year of comps you are looking at a grand total of $57,925 and that is doing all the work yourself. The second year though should only cost you the $8625 in event, travel and repair costs:D

P

pokeyYJ

Thanks Skulltoy, I was curious as to how much you guys spent on things like this. Now I know that it will be a LONG while before I start something like this.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I hope to compete in the legends class later this year. I don't think I'll have more than 7k into my rig including it's purchase price.

Cody

Caleb

Well, skulltoy just described a great unlimited rig but since you want to know about legends then I think that $57K doesn't pertain to you...like Cody said he has 7K into his rig including the purchase price and he is hoping to compete with that...depending on how built your rig is now it may not be that expensive to get to a competitive level...also you dont need a $30K diesel to tow with...I know you can get a decent fullsize for around $8K or less depending on what motor and make and year it is...trailer range in price but I know you can get a good quality trailer for around $1500...event fees etc are the same if you do all the events but since you are new to it I would assume you would want to do an event and see if your willing to stick it out...if so then pony up the cash...any way you look at it, competing is expensive and is reason a lot a really good drivers don't compete...get land rover to sponser you $57K is a drop in the bucket for them:D:D:D

redrock

skulltoy you got right to the point i like that and how do ppl keep going prize money that good. if your good enough to get any prize money

Caleb

Originally posted by redrock
... how do ppl keep going prize money that good. if your good enough to get any prize money

To the point...no the prize money isn;t that good in the regular comps...you get the occassional comps like Supercrawl and Baja Rocks that have good payouts but only if you place top 5 or so...how do you keep going year after year...SPONSORS:D

Caleb

Originally posted by Joel

BWHAHAHAhahahahaaaa, um, yeah right. Ask anyone if they have been paid yet!:rolleyes: :mad:

I know all about that...I have heard there is some coming to the winners but I've learned to not count on anything until its in hand...

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
Ok this thread got me thinking. At the last UROC event here's how the payouts should have looked if I did my math correctly. This is just for the unlimited class.

55 competitors
$200 each

total for awards $11,000

First place got 54% or $5940
Second got 25% or $2750
third got 12% or $1320
Fourth got 6% or $660
Fifth got 3% or $330

Then you add in all the contigencies which adds up to:

$3400 for first place
$1600 for second place
$550 for third place