For all you Chevy people out there

sandraider

I was wondering what axles they put under the 67 or 68 chevy trucks it is 6 lug but that is all I can tell as of right now. Also how is a 12 bolt rearend compared to say a 30 or 44? Thanks for any input you have.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The front should be a closed knuckle D44 with an Eaton HO52 rear end. Parts are getting scarce for both, and drums in the front aren't the greatest :-\

As far as upgrades: The frontend can be easily swapped with an open knuckle D44 or D60 axle from a later model truck.

12 bolts are kind of frowned upon in the off road world so I'd say a 14 bolt (3/4-1ton rear end from a later model GM) would be the best swap for the rear.... Just my .02 cents :)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping axles definately just go with the 14 bolt. They are way cheap. Pull and save sells them on wed. for $68 out the door.

red

copy of my post in another thread-
not quite. correct on the 10 bolt, outers are basicly identical to a d44 but the 10 bolt has a minimally stronger pinion than a d44, but you'd blow an axle shaft/hub in either before you would ever get to that point.

12 bolt is stronger, about halfway between a d60 and d44.

2 differant 14 bolts. the 9.5" semi-floater (3/4 ton after 1981) is stronger than a d60 but not as strong as a d70. the 10.5" full floater is equal to the d80.

9.5" 14 bolt is available with either a 6 or 8 lug pattern, same with the 10 bolt. reason the 12 bolt is frowned upon is because lockers and other parts for them cost more than they do for any of the other axles. 10 bolt front and 10 bolt rear axles use the same carrier and are a dime a dozen. can pick up a rear for free-$100, front for free-$140 complete hub to hub. 14 bolt full floater for $100-400 usually, saw 7 of them last wednesday at pull-n-save in salt lake.

Last edited: