Ford 8.8 under a YJ

GreenYJ

Well I got my axle....finally. I bought it(pick & pull) with 3.73 gears and a trac-loc. Sadly I couldn't find an axle with disc brakes and for some reason they don't come with 4.88 gears(who'd a thunk!)...oh well, thats why they make conversion kits right! So now what.
Things I need to do:
buy 4.88 gears and install kits (33s under a 4 banger)
weld on perches and shock mounts
hook up brakes and e-brakes.
install axle...of course.

?????
-Do I need to buy a new carrier for the 4.88 gears?
-Any one or know of some one who has hooked up the e-brakes from the 8.8 drums to a YJ cause there needs to be a lttle fabricating I think?
-Is the trac-loc any good? I know you guys are going to tell me to get a detroit or something, but the funds are tight right now.....better than nothing right!

Caleb

there is no carrier break on the 8.8s, just pull the e-brakes apart and look at them...I bet you can figure it out...I bet the drums e-brakes are very similar as most are...I dont know anything about the trac-lock...good luck

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
a c-clip turd is a c-clip turd...

and dont give me any of that

OHH the disc brake caliper will hold it together and everything will be peaches and cream with cinnamon and sugar on top....that scenario sounds real healthy for an axle assembly... :ugh: you can have your 8.8...I will take my zuk axles :rofl: :rofl:

did I mention that I broke 2 zuk birfs by hand last week...extracting them from a front diff...with a small pry bar?

applying SPF 9000 flame blocker...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
spencurai said:
did I mention that I broke 2 zuk birfs by hand last week...extracting them from a front diff...with a small pry bar?

hehe....least it takes a bit more to do that to a D35 shaft.......and a LOT more to do that to a 8.8

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
spencurai said:
a c-clip turd is a c-clip turd...

and dont give me any of that

OHH the disc brake caliper will hold it together and everything will be peaches and cream with cinnamon and sugar on top....that scenario sounds real healthy for an axle assembly... :ugh: you can have your 8.8...I will take my zuk axles :rofl: :rofl:

I'm thinking the C-clip isn't that big of a deal after looking at the axle and the clip. The thing is pretty good sized.

I think it'll hold up as well as a semi-float D44 and act similarly if the shaft breaks {discussion welcome}. I helped Wayne put his in and I was wishing I had gotten a 8.8 rather than the D44. The disc brakes make it cooler, IMHO.

Caleb

mbryson said:
I'm thinking the C-clip isn't that big of a deal after looking at the axle and the clip. The thing is pretty good sized.

I think it'll hold up as well as a semi-float D44 and act similarly if the shaft breaks {discussion welcome}. I helped Wayne put his in and I was wishing I had gotten a 8.8 rather than the D44. The disc brakes make it cooler, IMHO.

yep and actually the 8.8 is a 31 spline 1.32" shaft and most D60s are only 30 spline 1.3" shafts...so by shaft size the 8.8 is stronger but then you ahve to consider the FF vs. SF debate which prolly puts the D60 a little stronger...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
GreenYJ said:
is the trac-loc carrier different from an open carrier?

Trac-Loc = Limited Slip, correct? If so, then yes the carriers are diffrent. The Limited Slip had a bunch of clutches in the diff instead of spider gears. You'll need a opened diff if you're installing a lunchbox locker.

I think M.O.R.E. sells alot of 8.8 conversion parts. They might be able to tell you MORE.... :rofl:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Like Greg "I'm no 8.8 expert" but when i look at the lock-right website they only list lockers for open carriers. When you look at the other half of the website them make 2 powertrax lockers for the 8.8; one for "open" (92-0688-3108), and one for "Limited slip" (92-0688-3128).
My guess is that if you want a lockright you will have to find an open carrier. But you can look for a powertrax and find one for either. My disclaimer is that I know nothing about the 8.8 so take my advice light.

ewander

Hey, I will have an open carrier and a mini spool for real cheap if you want it after this weekend (detroit).

I can't believe that the 8.8 is based on a true story. The bad thing about the 8.8 in my opinion is that it's bolt pattern is requiring me to keep the Dana 30...just kidding, it all depends on what you do, where you do it and how often.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I think Ford 8.8s are cool. If I was building a trail YJ, I'd put one under it. The C clip does not have any effect on the strength of the axle. You can get them with 4.56s, and disc brakes too!