Ford C6 trouble....

CrawlerCraig

2 weeks ago we were wheeling in the cedar city area and my tranny started slipping while going up really vertical obsticals and by the end of the day I lost almost all forward movement. If I rev up the engine to 3500 4000 rpms it will start to move forward, I still have reverse as if nothing was wrong.

so I am in the process of tearing it out to have it re-built but was wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be wrong? torque converter or maybe the pump? and maybe a good tranny shop.

thanks

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
When my C4 when out last it would lose 1st gear on the steep hills. It would basicaly pop into neutral then grab again. Reverse didn't have any problems. I know this is a differtent tranny but they are very similar. Anyway the torque converter was fine. The problem was insise the tranny. It made it back from Moab to Tooele fine, it just had problems going up steep hills.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
oooo Been a long time for me... I think 2 and 3 use the reverse pack? I know the reverse is used for something more than just reverse. Maybe it is just 2nd gear? Anyway, it's not the torque converter or pump, but most likely 1st gear went out. If you were able to get it towed, I bet 2nd and 3rd would work.

There's a really good guy in Orem, across from the mall on State and University? Across from Big O there... Very honest. Not 100% on his work, but ethics are top notch. Nothing I've had done there has failed yet, and I'm pusning ~40k miles since.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
If I rermember right 1st and reverce use the same band and 2nd and 3rd use the same. I got sick of the auto thing and finally, after 3 rebuilds in just over 3 years, dropped a 435 standard tranny in mine.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Kaysville is a long drive from Lehi but Craig's Transmission does an excellent job. Prices are as good or cheaper than anyone but he throws in something like a 3 year warranty! I talked to him about my c6 awhile ago and to have it BUILT it was like 700 bucks.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
CRAIGS TRANSMISSIONS AND AUTO REPAIR
801-444-1171

Ask for Craig. He is kind of a goofy guy but thats whats makes him a good tranny builder. He knows his stuff though

R

rockdog

J and G in slc is a pretty good shop too. Did my c6 for 500 seems like.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If I rermember right 1st and reverce use the same band and 2nd and 3rd use the same. I got sick of the auto thing and finally, after 3 rebuilds in just over 3 years, dropped a 435 standard tranny in mine.

You're right... 1st and reverse do use the same clutch pack in the C6...