Ford PSD shooting torch like flames

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
My little brother was driving my pops 99 Powerstroke to St. George last night, and It started shooting butane torch looking flames out the end of the exhaust.
1- I know he added a couple quarts of oil before he left.
2- One injector is bad, sputters a little starting out, idles a little rough.
3- We have pulled a ton with this truck with no problems.
4- He pulled over and reved it up and it didn't do it, only under load.
5- Egt's around 1300 pulling an empty trailer

Do you guys think that the injector is puking fuel and loading the cat? :confused:or do you think its pumping oil from the turbo into the exhaust?:confused:

I haven't gone up to check it out yet, so any ideas would be helpfull to prepare me

Thanks, Jake

Crazy -- what color is the smoke coming out if it?

White = unburnt fuel.
Bluish white/grey - oil
black = burnt fuel through the combustion process, usually no big deal..

My guess is oil in the exhaust via that bad injector.. With the heat of actually driving/towing you are getting some combustion in the exhaust. This is bad as it will heat the piss out of your turbo (which also might be spent/burned seals).

I'd replace the injector first - I would get a reman from Industrial Injection, cheaper and they do a much better job rebuilding than Gillett. Turbos can be found somewhat cheaply used on KSL.

good luck,
Andre

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
It is a 55' aluminum car hauler, but this thing has always ran high on the EGT's
We are going to replace the injector, and I think the cat may be partially plugged since its always running hot. Hopefully my pops will order up a 4" turbo back catless, right now it just has a 4" cat back that should help out too.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
Crazy -- what color is the smoke coming out if it?

White = unburnt fuel.
Bluish white/grey - oil
black = burnt fuel through the combustion process, usually no big deal..

My guess is oil in the exhaust via that bad injector.. With the heat of actually driving/towing you are getting some combustion in the exhaust. This is bad as it will heat the piss out of your turbo (which also might be spent/burned seals).

I'd replace the injector first - I would get a reman from Industrial Injection, cheaper and they do a much better job rebuilding than Gillett. Turbos can be found somewhat cheaply used on KSL.

good luck,
Andre

My brother is kind of clueless and it was middle of the night, but I'll check with him again. If its a turbo we'll probably do the banks rebuild/ upgrade kit in it. Hopefully the motor isn't effed

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would do the injector also. My power stroke never hits 1300. Your not suppose to go over 1250 for more then 20-30 seconds:eek: