Forest Lake Project 7/28-7/29

Forest Lake Fence Project & Campout 7/28-7/29

Join U4WDA for a fence repair project and campout up at Forest Lake in American Fork Canyon on Friday 7/28 and Saturday 7/29.

We'll be working with Forest Service personnel to replace three sections of fence near and around Forest Lake. With gas powered augers, electric drills, and plenty of workers we're planning on a fun-filled service project that will further our good relations with influential land managers.

Yes, we know that several clubs and UROC have events that weekend. However, this was the only weekend available for the Forest Service to complete this project.

Come up with us on Friday and camp! Meet at the South Fork Ranger Station (directions below) at 10:00 AM on Friday. We'll load up the equipment and supplies, and head up to the lake. After we setup camp, we'll get to work.

If you can't make it that early, then just meet us up at Forest Lake and join in the group campout so we can get an early start on Saturday!

For those of you who can't make it up until Saturday, meet at Tibble Fork Reservoir (directions below) at 9:00 AM on Saturday morning. A U4WDA representative will guide the group up to Forest Lake to begin working.

The work should take a full day on Saturday so please plan on staying until the early evening if possible.

For Friday or Saturday, just tell the person in the fee booth that you're heading up to the Forest Lake Fence Project and you'll get free entry into the canyon.

Please try to carpool! We don't want to clog the area with 50+ rigs.

Bring work gloves! If you don't have any, stop by your local hardware store or Harbor Freight for some cheap, heavy-duty work gloves.

Wear long pants and shoes! No flip-flops, remember safety first.

If you're camping, be sure to bring all your gear for Friday and Saturday. If you're coming up on Saturday, pack a lunch and bring plenty of water.

Bring your friends and support the cause! Consider how many hours of enjoyment AF Canyon provides to all of us each year, and give a little back to an area that desperately needs our help.

Please RSVP by replying to this post, sending me a PM, emailing volunteer@u4wda.org, or by calling Steve Jackson at 801-376-3332. Please indicate when you'll be coming up. We need to get an accurate count to make sure we'll have enough workers to finish the job.

Please make every effort possible to participate in this service project. This project is a small part of U4WDA's overall strategy of furthering the 4x4 cause in AF Canyon. Through this project and others like it we are continuing our efforts to get some fun trails re-opened in the canyon.

Directions to American Fork Canyon:
From I-15 take exit number 284 (Highway 92 Highland/Alpine) and head east. Stay on 92, and you will reach the canyon fee booth in 7.7 miles.

Directions to South Fork Ranger Station:
From the fee booth at the canyon entrance, continue east on the main road. After 3.8 miles, you'll reach the turn-off to Tibble Fork Reservoir. The Ranger Station is located about 150 yards after (east) the turn-off on the right (south) side of the main road. You can't miss it.

Directions to Tibble Fork Reservoir:
From the fee booth at the canyon entrance, continue east on the main road. After 3.8 miles, you'll reach the turn-off to Tibble Fork Reservoir and North Fork. Turn left (north) and continue on the road for 2.3 miles to the reservoir.

map.jpg

*****This post contains all the current information. If anything changes, this post will be updated. The remaining posts in this thread are people RSVP'ing and posting things like, "Yeah, I'm cool. Of course I'm going to be there! Woohoo!"*****

FAQ For the Forest Lake Fence Project & Campout:

Q: Is this still happening?
A: ABSO-FREAK-N-LOOTLY!

Q: Are people going to camp?
A: That's why "Campout" is in the name of the activity.

Q: Do I need any special skills, you know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills?
A: No! Even the average enviromentalist could help out!

Q: Well that sounds awesome, what do I do?
A: Great! Just read the post carefully, and we'll see you there!

Last edited:

allterrain

AllTerrain
This is going to be a blast.
Great camping up in the pines, a fun trail to get there and a worthy project to keep us in a positive light with the FS.

Be there!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
sweet, i'm the first to post up.... i'm in... i even bought a big foam pad to sleep in the 4runner. ;)

-Jason

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
allterrain said:
This is going to be a blast.
Great camping up in the pines, a fun trail to get there and a worthy project to keep us in a positive light with the FS.

Be there!

you posted up the same time as me....-_- ... and won...

-Jason

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
mbryson said:
Any womenfolk headed up to camp? My wife's kinda interested in coming again, but wanted to know if she'd be the only one heavy on the estrogen.

Kurt will be there... and if i had to guess, i'd say he's quite heavy on the estrogen as well...;) only kidding Kurt... i kid, i kid...

-Jason

mbryson said:
Any womenfolk headed up to camp?

Marcie from the Forest Service will be there. I'm sure some other women will be there. I mean, it's gonna be THE place to be. So of course there'll be women there.

allterrain

AllTerrain
Mark,

Your wife is a good sport- but she won't get the tent trailer up there! :)
My wife will be once again supporting from homebase but I might have Jack with me.

It would be great to have a lady there and it might even keep Steve from blue darting the fire...

Alan

Thanks to everyone who came out to help!

We had folks from UXOC, UOOC, Wasatch Cruisers, Wasatch Rovers, SLC 4x4, Utah 4x4 Club, RME, UT-TTORA, U4WDA, and even 6 FS Rangers came out and camped!

It was a lot of hard work, but it was a lot of fun. Also, we helped out a great group of Forest Service folks. Projects like this really help the 4x4 community. The more we can help them, the more help we'll get from land managers.

Thanks again to everyone who was able to help!

If you have any photos from the project, please email them to me at steve@u4wda.org or post them here.

Last edited: