Forest Service Campgrounds near Utah/SL Valley

KWight

Does anyone know the names of some of the Forest Service Campgrounds up AF Canyon or above Alta? My family is having a family reunion the weekend of Pioneer Day and I want to get some reservations in now. It makes it a lot easier if I know the names prior to getting on the reservation site and would be very helpful if anyone knows some good sites in those areas.

We will also most likely be commuting to some events in the lower SL Valley or Utah Valley so accessability/proximity is an issue. I used to camp along the road that goes to Mineral Basin as a kid/teenager so do not know any of the developed sites. I would love to do that but know that those sites are going to be crowded/non existent that weekend Needless to say I am not looking forward to being up there on a Holiday weekend. I guess Rural Colorado has spoiled me like that.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kevin

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I believe the one above Alta is Albion Basin CG, Tanner's Flat is just below the White Pine trailhead in Little Cottonwood.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Granite Flats in AFC has some great groups sites, a baseball diamond and its just minutes from the 4x4 trails or Tibble Fork/Silver Flat for fishing.

KWight

Granite Flats in AFC has some great groups sites, a baseball diamond and its just minutes from the 4x4 trails or Tibble Fork/Silver Flat for fishing.

I camped up there in the middle of winter when I was 11 years old but have never camped there in the summer. We had thought about having the whole family up there but my siblings wimped out.

Kevin

KWight

http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/

check this out. just click on an area on the map. when it zooms in hover over one of the green dots and it tells the name. if you click on it, it gives info. gives other campgrounds too, not just FS ones.

Thanks for the link, that is better than the ones I was running across that required you to know the name of the campsite before making the reservation. I ended up reserving a site at Little Mill #24 where we camped with my dad when I was 8 years old. It had a nice swimming hole next to it back then and hopefully still does. I plan on spending the weekend there and when the crowds dissipate on Monday will head up to Forest Lake for an overnight and possibly hike to Pittsburgh Lake for another overnight with my older children.

Thanks,

Kevin